Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 8 twist barrel thats currently chambered in standard 22-250. I'm curious what the pros & cons are about rechambering this barrel to either a 22-250 AI or a 220 Swift. I have plenty of barrel length so setting back is not a major concern. I'm thinking they would achieve about the same results with 68-80 grain pills???? Concerns are brass stretching, die costs, and accuracy...I don't care about barrel life as its an older barrel. I also have another rifle that I would consider rebarreling with a new barrel in a different twist in the same calibers. Use will be for longrange groundhogs, one rifle is a dedicated table gun, the other is a Rem 700 VS currently in 22-250. TIA, Sam

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would go to the 22-250AI since the improved shoulder nearly eliminates case stretching. The performance would be nearly identical with the 22-250 having slightly more capacity. The price of the dies is more but not that much more and worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
"Better Worded Version: I would go to the 22-250 AI since the improved shoulder nearly eliminates case stretching. The performance would be nearly identical to the 220 Swift with the 22-250AI having slightly more capacity. The price of the dies is more but not that much more and worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sam.....it's no good

especially if it fits a rem 700 action...:eek: send it to me, I'll dispose of it properly and all that stuff, since it seems to have sentimental :( value to you. After all...what are friends for?
LOL, I "need" a 22 caliber 8 twist barrel.... for a rem 700 action. Anybodt out there have an extra???? Gonna build another 22-243 for son (prefer a #7 contour, would entertain a #6). His present one is a #5, and wants one to finish at about 22 for a truck gun.:D :D :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Bruce its currently on a sleeved Remmy 600 w/o a recoil lug, would fit a 700 I believe with some g-smthn' work... is still a shooter as is, but the throat has grown, plus I've got lots of Starke 68 & 80 grain RPVBullets that shoot like a house a fire in this barrel.....interested? I will not sell the bullets seperatley, unless someone is interested in the barrel....Sam

·
Registered
169 Posts
22-250 Ai

Since getting the Encore with a VV 22-250 AI barrel, I`m converting all my 22-250`s to AI. Next in line is a new 40X 22-250 that`s been waiting too long. Guess I`ll hafta cut some maple for it too.

Will try to have one bullet - one load for them all. Should simplify reloading and keeping track of ammo.
What a bad-ass caliber!:D

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yup....

Hey Bruce its currently on a sleeved Remmy 600 w/o a recoil lug, would fit a 700 I believe with some g-smthn' work... is still a shooter as is, but the throat has grown, plus I've got lots of Starke 68 & 80 grain RPVBullets that shoot like a house a fire in this barrel.....interested? I will not sell the bullets seperatley, unless someone is interested in the barrel....Sam
I have a rem 600 that I would have to find a bolt for one of my 600's (my 2 are 222's...or was). But, I would be interested. Try me @ bubbaATdobsontelecoDOTcom
Price barrel, whole shebang, and/or bullets.
Anybody have an extra bolt for a 600 ?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend the .22x47 Lapua based on the 6.5x47 Lapua case. I had a Tikka .22-250 rechambered on the factory barrel and it is a shooter. I can load those cases to much higher pressure than the old .22-250 cases.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you go to .22-250 AI or the .220 you`re only going to get another 50 fps or so. With smaller cases your increase in velosity is 1/2 of the % increase in case volume. ie. you increase you case volune by 10 % and you get a 5% increase in velosity. BUT, as cases get larger, over bore cases your increase in velosity goes down. You would be spending quite abit of money for little gain and then you would have a wildcat rifle and the market for wildcats is far smaller the for factory chamberings. If you wanting to rechamber it I would recomand that you go with a .22-243 Middlestead, a .22-284 or a .22-6mm. With any of these you will be able to push an 80 gr. bullet to 3,500 fps. The biggest anyantage to 1 of these rounds with the 80 gr bullet is that you will cut your wind drift by 1/2. If you have a good smith in your area I would go with any of the rounds I named if he has the reamer for one. I just had a .22-6mm built and am have very good results with early testing. I have a good friend with a .22-284 and he loves it. These are great long range varment rounds, just don`t spend alot of time on the range getting your barrel hot, that`s what does them in.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I see three choices

First there is nothing really wrong with just the regular 22-250. The 22-250AI would sure be a good canidate. Then you mention .220 Swift but don't like the cases stretching. Take a very close look at the .220 Wilson Arrow I feel it would really shine with the heavy bullets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.