Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my trailer dug out and back to the shop. It had sat aboutb5 or 6 years. I power washed the floor and pulled all the wheels and tires today and replaced all the axle seals and one set of bearings and cleaned and repacked the other 3 sets and also added bearing buddies. I used the fork truck to drive the trailer under the camper....barely making it. As it sits now...as far as it will go without taking off tail light mounts I figure I have about 100lbs of tongue weight. I have about 52" under the front that my 4 wheeler should fit but not sure how much tongue weight it will be yet. I may not leave it up on the platform when finished.

I may weld up a frame to sit it in that will not allow it to move side to side or to the front once bolted to the floor of the trailer. Then just strap it down with the 4 corner points.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Shane now your thinking like one of us hillbilly's :oops:. I like it !!

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
Looks good to me!

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I can see lots of advantages to this approach, Shane, and I bet putting that 4-wheeler in that front space isn't going to kill your tongue weight. Isn't 100 pounds a little light anyway? There may be some snooty campgrounds who frown on your reddneck camper, but I bet if you wave the nightly fee under their nose they'll smile and welcome you. Any camper who's actually "been there, done that" should look at it and declare it pretty smart.

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure about how much weight you need on the tongue but ran into that problem once when hauling sandrails. My buddy got a flat trailer tire and needed to unload one of his 2 buggys. We piggy backed it on my trailer with my rail and hit a patch of road that got us swaying so much we had tires screaming as well as us as I fought to keep it in my lane.
I'd like to get it set to where I could haul it with or without the 4 wheeler and not be a problem.
As far as campgrounds I'm sure there are some that are pretty strict. Hopefully I can avoid those!

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I don't know if that's as red-neckish as it can be. I'm thinking pontoons could fit under there, too. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last time I was at Brookville lake I seen some mini barns on toons floating tied up in the buoy field....it ain't permanently attached to the trailer!:oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good idea, but will the trailer be overloaded? Improvements are good as long as they don't overload the underlying design.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've been in a situation where we didn't have enough tongue weight and it wasn't fun! But I don't know how much you really need.

You rig is looking good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts