Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
.243 100 Gr reduced loads

Norn IMR 4064 the Min load is 30.7 Gr. and should give you around 2500 fps That is pretty near 22 Mag velocity. You can document this load in Sierra Edition V.

·
Registered
304 Posts
xmr 5744 and accurate 8700

i have had good luck with accurate 5744.... it was designed to be used in large cases like the 45-70 and 50-70 when the case was not full and the pressures were low..... it is also a little more bulky.... it works well for reduced loads in that it is not position sensitive..... in bottleneck rifle cartridges.......... call accurate for load details for the 243 with 100 grainers....... cases like the 243 and 25-06 with a large case capacity in relation to the bore are the most challenging for reduced loads..... to be safe and prevent detonation.....

another avenue for a reduced velocity load was with using accurate 8700 .... it is not a reduced powder charge however........ 8700 is a very slow powder...... use a CASE FULL of this powder and you will get reduced velocity charges...... The accurate techs i talked to told of good results (accuracy and repeatability from shot to shot).... in the 25-06 with reduced velocities.......... velocities should be in the mid 2000's to low 2000's..... just load the case full up to the shoulder and use a magnum primer..... is safer load becasue the case is full of powder..... again call the accurate tech's for data.........

I personally like one of the 4895's for reduced loads like the 60% loads listed by hodgdon...... better than using 4064 for reduced loads.... i think 4895 is more consistent and safer at the 20,000 or 30,000 pressure levels of reduced loads.......

less likely to get a pressure spike..... This is not meant as a flame to anyone..... only my personal preference.....

hodgdon lists 33gr of H4895 for the 100's in the 243.... 60 % would be 19.8 gr of h4895......... i would suggest using 22 gr of h4895 for a reduced load....... that would be a 66 % load.... hodgdon states anything down to 60% of a published h4895 load is good for a reduced load..... or anything from 60% to 100% of the load listed is ok

I think 100 gr bullets in the 243 is a pretty heavy bullet for the bore diameter..... got to be careful of pressures and getting the bullet started.... I would not seat the bullet close to the lands......... REduced loads in a 243 would have more latitude with lighter bullets.......

Hope this helps.... some of my thoughts.....

R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.