Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read where some one was using Dacron for wadding in reduced loads. I was wondering about using Kapoc. Any suggestion or comments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've never used any kind of filler for my reduced loadings. I always use a powder that fills the case like IMR 4759 or Accurates 5744. I assume you are loading rifle cases. I use 19.0 grs IMR 4759 in a 3006 with a 147gr FMJBT and I am getting around 80% loading density. There is virtually no recoil and you really don't have to shoulder the rifle there is so little recoil. I have shot coyotes out to 150 yds with it so while being reduced, it will still hunt. Maybe someone will chime in with other info for you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kapot

I read where some one was using Dacron for wadding in reduced loads. I was wondering about using Kapoc. Any suggestion or comments
I had a Sako in 222 that would not shoot that great. I tried reduced loads (not to improve accuracy, but for a quieter load) using 4759 powder. Groups were not that great, so I tried kapot which is polyester or dacron. Less than half inch groups at 100yds. But the smell was terrible, and I am 99.99% sure that it is toxic when burned. If I did it again, I think I would use tissue paper.
You should always drop back on a load whenever you change a component, and kapot or tissue paper would be considered a component.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kapok was one of the original filler materials. It's a natural fiber (from an eponymous tree) that was used to stuff life preserver vests back in the day. Shooters adopted it as a case filler. Today, true kapok fiber is no longer used as floatation, and is pretty rare to see. Synthetic fibers like Dacron batting take the place of kapok as a very fluffy, almost weightless filler. Dacron allegedly burns completely in the cartridge. I have always had lingering doubts about it depositing tough plastic residue in the bore, even if it works to keep the powder near the primer despite jiggling and vibration (which I doubt).

I don't use fillers, either. I'll select a bulky powder, or a very easy to light powder and simply shoot it as is. Such loads aren't for target use, so I don't worry about supposed velocity variations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts