Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This day each year is a bitter sweet for me. It is the last day of my grouse and woodcock hunting before deer season opens on the third Saturday of November. I have a bunch of coverts that I hunt each season but I have been hunting two very favorite coverts on the first and last day since 1972 now, the Hillside Covert and the Homestead Covert. I said to myself years back the last covert I ever want to hunt is the Homestead covert and that is the last one of each season I hunt. I hope to be able to hunt at least ten more years and I sincerely hope I can hunt these two for at least another two years to make it 50 years in these favorites. My Brittany's, Nugget, Toby, Snoopy, Molly, Riley have all hunted in the Homestead Covert for their last hunt as they all passed away in between seasons. Rusty will be my last and I can only hope I live as long as him.

I have used three shotguns in these two coverts and others over the years and I couldn't tell you how many birds I have killed in them but it has been a lot. From 1972 to 1974 I either used a 870 Wingaster 12ga Skeet model or a High Standard 20ga Skeet model that I bought for my wife before we were married. Since 1974 I have used a 870 Wingmaster 20ga Skeet model 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time I have used the 870 12ga Wingmaster Skeet and this season I have starting to gravitate to a 870 Wingmaster 20ga LW with choke tubes. I always keep a Skeet tube in it. I will be 76 here in about two weeks and the 20 LW is 10 oz lighter which helps me by the end of the day.

A picture of Rusty in the Hillside Covert today.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The human being is definitely a creature of habit. I also have habits like you with my deer hunting forays. The last day of deer season 4-6 of the camp hunt the Cusey homestead. We own the quarter section and leave it alone kind of like a refuge. We don’t drive it out and only stand hunt it. We only hunt it the on the last day of season. It goes 9 days and it’s untouched, so we generally end up shooting a couple deer there. This year it was to windy and we didn’t see any deer there.
like you George I am 75 this year. My first season of deer hunting was 1953, and in all those years I only missed one season. This year was my 64th season. Your hoping for 50 years, I’m hoping for 65years of deer season. The Cusey homestead is where I shot my first deer ( small 6 point) on the last day of season, at the age of 11. That’s the main reason I bought it many years ago when it came up for sale. It’s a special place in my hunting memory book and it will be handed down to my grandkuds.
Good hunting to Rusty an you, Whee ever covert you took that photo it looks like a prime covert, leaves down, plenty of drumming logs and fairly open.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Thanks for telling us about your hunting years. Bird hunting in my area ended about 25 years ago, and will probably never return. Quail disappeared first then Grouse; every arable acre around is cropped in corn/ soybeans now.
Land is leased.... you get a check and don't have to do anything. But there are still a lot of Cattle farms on the rougher farms and fields. Even those farms are trying to squeeze every blade of grass out that they can...like me.
I leased some land once and I will Never do it again.....like when i will vote for a Democrat again.

George, I hope you and Rusty get to hunt many more years. You also 2Feathers.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks George, my hunting started with my Dad and Brother and several uncles hunting pheasants and rabbits with beagles and English Pointers. In the early thirties my Dad made a living training pointers and housing dogs, up to 150 dogs on the farm at one time. Your stories stir memories of the talk at the supper table and those early days afield that I am not able to do now days. Thanks for the memories. Mike

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
In this neck of the woods the golden days of pheasant hunting were the fifties ad you could get your daily limit of two roosters (never hens) in under two hours. Opening day was October 20 at 10AM. I had a Brittany Spaniel back then and she had a great nose.Then habitat loss came and then DNR plantings of Turkeys and then DDT, and then urban encroachment and then hunter pressure. Long story shortened version is I make a note of it every time I hear a rooster pheasant crow.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Yep Brangs back a lot of memories.
It's been close to 20 since I've grouse hunted.
Thanks for letting us in on yours and Rustys hunts.
He sure is pretty.

Donnie

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
George thanks for sharing your hunt with us today, that is special for sure. That gives you pleasure and is a true Blessing.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks for sharing George. I have several places like that I deer hunt like that, have been dependable hunting areas for 30+ years. One of them is the old farm across the road from me. It has been sold, cut up, boat storages on it, double wide homes on it. The deer still use the same trails, bucks and does.

·
Administrator
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started grouse hunting in 1957 and have been at it every since as it has always been my passion. It is nothing today like it was then with the soil bank program it was nothing to move 20 grouse after school. Today the coverts I hunted as a kid "Up Home" are all gone. We use to have a great pheasant population back then also but I have never got into hunting them much.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Great stories, I am not a hunter, never have been. But there's nothing more heart warming than listening to tales of hunting in n the past and today.
Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts