Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the local shooting range a fellow was shooting his new 597 in 17hmr. He was complaining about it shooting all over the target. After he had shot about one and one half boxes of the Hornady shells one made a dull thud sound. Several parts of the action blew out the bottom of the magazine. We found the mag spring and othe parts of the action. The shell we took out of the rifle was split almost all the way down to the rim. We looked at some of the other shell he had fired before and about 1/3 of them were split just past the shoulder. He was upset and I did not get a chance to see if the barrel was clear or not. Don't know if it was the ammo or the rifle at fault. He sent it back to Remington so I should get a report and will follow up when it comes in.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sounds like it was firing out of battery.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Pretty common

You could spend half a day on RFC reading all the posts about the 597's exploding. I've personaly been attacked by one at the Garland range outside of Dallas. Guy about 5 benches down was wearing out a box of Rem Goldens when it(the rifle):eek: smacked me with mag pieces blown out of the bottom of his rifle. Rifle fired out of battery and what was left was a mess:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well let's see, more possibilities: chamber reamed too big, a barrel that went out the door minus the rifling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts