Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own a Remington 700 SPS stainless? I am kicking around the option of a model 7 or the SPS stainless. I know the model 7 has a shorter action and such, but am curious about the SPS. I do not know anyone that has one. My thoughts are in a 300WSM configuration.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone own a Remington 700 SPS stainless? I am kicking around the option of a model 7 or the SPS stainless. I know the model 7 has a shorter action and such, but am curious about the SPS. I do not know anyone that has one. My thoughts are in a 300WSM configuration.
I have a BDL Stainless rifle in .338mag -- factory made in 2004--- I think exactly the same internally---only difference is the new "matte stainless" is what they are putting on the SPS rifles. They are not particularly pretty, but made for field and hunting use where looks are not a primary concern. I have considered getting one of the SPS's in a different caliber-- I believe the new SPS line has replaced the ADL, however these have a floorplate where the ADL did not. They should make a good hunting rifle--- the barrel on these is not free floated, but has a pressure point near the end of the stock. My BDL will give good 1" to 1/1/2" accuracy, and it will pull off an occasional 3/4" inch group. I am currently debating on whether to get the SPS or save another $175 and get the Stevens 200, but I am leaning toward the Remington. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought two SPS's in stainless just to get the action. What's to tell it is just the standard and reliable 700 BDL action? Both will be rebarreled and restocked in 300 WSM. One is completed and shoots 1" at 200 yards with 180 SMKs at 3050 fps! :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SPS in 300WSM

The reason I've been asking about the SPS is that Rem. makes it in the 300WSM. Have been wanting this cartridge and want a rifle that is reasonable in weight. How heavy are these rifles?

·
Registered
726 Posts
MTGunner, from what you say your needs are

A Savage Weather Warrior, Tikka T3, or Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker would better meet them. These are all substantially lighter than the Remington SPS, and are available in 300 WSM.

Remingtons are not the only guns that can shoot well. The Savage is quite affordable too. Their only weakness in the past was with their triggers. But I have become a fan of their new AccuTrigger, which I think is great.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know little about them....

I have had a couple of Winchesters and still have a pre-64 model 70 in '06. But as far as Tikka, Savage and Browning go, I've little working knowledge. My preference has been for Remington due to being able to work with them. I have admired the Savages but have not had any experience with them as yet. I will do more research on each. Thanx for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts