Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just brought one home today in 221FB. Am curious of any accuracy issues with this gun and what you all did for it.
It is pillar bedded from the factory and has barrel pressure pads built into stock. Also it has a very slight burr in one of the groves at the crown. Can’t see it with naked eye, had to use a Hawkeye bore scope to see it. What is an easy method of dressing up the crown?
Thanks in advance… Larry

·
Registered
876 Posts
Larry I have one.

I have one in .17 Rem. I have no accuracy issues at all. It is a fantastic shooter. I heard another gentleman here said his improved when he removed the pressure points in the barrel, but so far I have not seen the need. I really like mine.. I believe that Brownells makes a slick little tool for polishing the crown. You chuck it in a hand drill and use lapping compound on it. I would try Brownells. Hope this helps. Maybe fire it and see what it will do? Maybe if the burr is that small it wont be an issue?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Any BURR out on that end is a No-go. You've got to slick it up. Also, however well it shoots with the pressure points, It will do Better floated. I had one that shot great with the pressure points....sanded them out and it does even better and you don't have to worry about differences in pressure due to changes in the wood stock.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My LVSF has a "composite" stock, not wood....

It shoots very well just as it it. I've yet to shoot anything in it that didn't put 5 shots well inside 1" and one factory load shoots .7s consistently.

I don't dare screw with the stock..... I've had some that did better and some that never shot as well after removing the pressure pad at the end of the barrel.

The true heavy barrel guns always do better floated.... these I'm not so sure that's the case and certainly hasn't been in my experience.

Mine is a .223

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
I believe all LVSF rifles have composite stocks. I have two of them - 17 Rem and 221 FB - and both shoot extremey well out of the box.

I thik I'll leave them just like they are. Pressure points and all....

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, Guys....

I am on a mission to find a 221 FB that shoots. This is my 3rd 221FB in 5 years. The first one (a Classic) has a bad chamber cut in barrel and is definitely gonna end up on Kevin Weaver lathe getting reworked into a 20cal something one day. :) The second a 700 VLS that’s only getting about inch groups at best. Still working with this one, I bedded it, but didn't help. :confused: ... Sooooo it's good to hear that I at least have a chance that this 700 LVSF is at least working well for most of its owners. Thanks for the responses.
Larry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Larry, I bought two VLSFs in 221FB. I opened up the barrel channels and bedded both with Devcon (the aluminum insert never makes perfect contact with the action). Both shoot extremely well. They both like the bullets into the lands.

I also inspected both when they arrived with a borescope. These were the first Remingtons I had seen in a long time with prefectly chambered barrels and first rate rifling. I thought I was look down a custom barrel. If your rifle is anyhting like mine you will be very pleased.

G

·
We bought two LVSFs. One in 204 and the other in 221. Both shot better after the pressure points were removed. The 204 was moved into a HS stock and converted to BDL. It has an excellent barrel that barely fouls and is sub .5 moa average.

The 221 I've had a love/hate relationship with. I think the action is too large for the small 221 rounds, and I've had all sorts of issues with the magazine and feeding. It shot quite well, averaging around .8 moa. It's currently with the gunsmith being converted to a BDL and rechambered to 222 Rem Mag.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Larry, I've got one in 22-250 and it shoots fine with the pressure points intact. I did lap the bolt. I also cleaned up the area where the action makes contact with the pillars and adjusted the trigger. As far as the crown, find a 5/16 to 3/8" stainless steel ball bearing put some lapping compound/JB works fine.. on it and have at it. What kind of accuracy problems are you experiencing? Sam

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of accuracy problems are you experiencing? Sam
Sam, I'm not experiencing any accuracy problems because I haven't shot it yet. However my experience w/ Rem. 221FB barrels/rifles has been miserable at best. I have had 5 in my possession that were nothing but tomatoe stakes. This new 700 VLSF is the first and only one that has shown any real promise to date, for me. Why I have to have a Rem. 221FB; I don’t know, I just do. Most people would have said "THE HELL WITH IT” :eek: along time ago. I guess I’m just stubborn; Who me? Anyways I’m gonna keep beatin this horse until it comes back to life.
Thanks for the tip on fixin the burr on my muzzle crown, :cool: now all I have to do is find a source of stainless steel ball bearings. Can’t wait for the weather to warm up, I’m starting to get the DT tics; it’s been so long since I’ve been to the range.
What part of Vajinya you from Sam.
Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.