Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
most gunsmith would advise you against taking that particular rifle apart for cleaning, thats why they call them box guns, they show up at the gunsmith in a box to be put back together.

for what it's worth

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another place to try....

www.brownells.com
not sure they have the 66 breakdown.....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Here ya go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
most gunsmith would advise you against taking that particular rifle apart for cleaning, thats why they call them box guns, they show up at the gunsmith in a box to be put back together.

for what it's worth
I second that motion. Even with a parts diagram, it's a formidable challenge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm old enough to remember, or is that...

young enough that I haven't forgotten, hmmm...Anyway, you are not supposed to treat that queen like a regular rifle. Wipe it off. Run a little bit from the muzzle end (carefully!!). Shoot another 6 million rounds. Repeat.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
About 45 years ago I had a Sears simi auto .22 that I took apart to clean and "explore" after it went back to gether it would "double tap" and fire 2,3,4 0r 5 shots with one trigger pull. Never did get it right. Neither did the only smith in town. Must have lost a part. It finally beat itself to death, the cast parts inside could not take the pounding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless it is not functioning.....

I would highly recommend that you not take it apart to clean it!. It is not that they are that bad to take apart it is just not necessary.

I have hand several apart to fix and a couple to "clean". both of the rifles that I took apart to clean were working find before the cleaning and would jam afterwards.

Both shot back to flawless operation after a couple hundred rounds. Neither seemed to like being spotless. Now I don't take Nylon 66's apart unless they are broke.

Great rifle and a blast to shoot!.

Good Hunting
Jeff in Nd

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought one from a pawn shop when I was 16--or rather, my mother bought it and loaned it to me. My uncle had one and I thought it was very cool. He took his 66 apart and dad had to go over and put it back together for him. My dad was always putting stuff back together that my uncle took apart.

Knowing my dad could put my 66 back together if I needed him to, the first thing I did after getting it from the pawn shop was to strip it down and give it a surgical cleaning. It was a little tricky to get back together, but I did it and I've done it a couple times since--probably 20 years ago last time. It has performed flawlessly. My one complaint is the magazine. There's no way to tell how many cartridges to put in it to fill a partially full magazine unless you keep track of how many you've shot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My first rifle.
I was 6 or 7 and Dad took me to some sort of big retailer like Walmart. I think it was called Fedmart.
He gave me the choice of the new Ruger 10-22 or the Nylon. I guess the Nylon was racy looking or something. I`d studied up on both and was really impressed that some guy had shot some extrordinary number of wooden blocks without a jam and only 6 misses if I recal. I think it was 22,000 or 100,000 or something.
Couldn`t wait to tear it down and clean it. Dad said NO WAY. I was about 8 or 9 when he decided that since I managed to tear down his spare volkswagon engine and put a new crank in it, and make it run again, that the rifle was do-able.
I don`t remember how bad it was but it became a regular thing to strip and clean. Dad used to really light up when I`d strip it and reassemble it at the range, and the veteran shooters would watch.
Personally, I think the fuel control on a turboshaft helo engine is way harder....
Ain`t good for much else but tearing crap apart and putting together was always fun.
Now if I could just figure out how to strip this Ruger P97.........:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.