Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple months, I'm planning on shipping a 700 heavy barreled action to Pac-Nor for a new stainless match barrel. I'll primarily be shooting 40-55 grain bullets, but there is a possiblity that I might like to do some experimenting with 60-69 grain weights as well, so I'd like a twist rate that would stabilize these as well. Not having dealt with pac-nor previously, I'm not sure what chamber/throating options are available.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Also, what kind of accuracy are you getting from your firearms that you've had pac-nor chamber and rebarrel? Thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
pac-nor

I have 2, 3 groove 204 barrels they both shoot better than me. They are the super match. The 223 with a 1-9 should do well unless you want to shoot the 75 or bigger. If 55 is your max the 1-12 should do. Call them they can help you out with the details.
EricT

·
Registered
826 Posts
The 1-14 twist is best for the 40-55g......

60g V max will take a 12 twist
69g will take a 9 twist

You can supply pac nor with a bullet seated at the depth you want it, and they will chamber the gun for the bullet seated at that depth...pretty cool!
I would instruct them that you want a minimum spec chamber if you don't want bulges on the web of your brass, and specify a .250 neck that is a non turn neck.

If you get a 26" barrel, and shoot N-133 Powder, you will bet unreal accuacy and speed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are going to shoot 40 gr bullets you should go for 1-12, if you are going to shoot 50 to 60 a 1-9 is better, and usually a 1-9 will work up to 69 gr, but not all of them will work with bullets over 65 grs, 55 gr on up works with a 1-8 twist.

The 1-9 twist is the most versatile. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pac Nor quality

PacNor supplied a stainless medium wt .416 bbl and J Ricks chambered it for me. The rifle shoots 5/8" groups, but not "all day long", because NO ONE shoots this gun "all day long" hehe. "Kills at one end and wounds at the other"
:eek:
All my barrels will be Pacnors.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Keith had it right...

If you are going to shoot 40 gr bullets you should go for 1-12, if you are going to shoot 50 to 60 a 1-9 is better, and usually a 1-9 will work up to 69 gr, but not all of them will work with bullets over 65 grs, 55 gr on up works with a 1-8 twist.

The 1-9 twist is the most versatile. :)
Not taking exception to your post, except to say you are very conservative. :eek: In my experience w/ several .223, the 12 twist in a .223 will handle 55s and even some 60s, but DOATS on the 50 V-max! a 9 twist will reach 75 A-maxes. But, I agree that unless one has a specific task in mind for the gun, the 9 twist is a good pick; shooting light bullets at shorter ranges quite well, and able to reach 600 yards with 75s too.

FWIW,

P.

P.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My humble recomendation...

Fast twist, 1-8", long barrel, 27-28", chamber for 223AI. You can still shoot the 40grn V-max's and go all the way to the 80grn Bergers. I've had three Savages with 1-9" twist and they all shot the 40grn V-max's like a house on fire! The terminal performance of a fast twist barrel is awesome on PD's and the like. The long barrel and improved case will allow for slower powder and in my experience is easier on barrels. But if you want speed, pump it up to the max, 40 grainers ~ 4000fps!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree. I have a 1/8 twist on my 40XC 223 and it shoots bullets in the 50 to 80 grain range quite well. I haven't tried 40 grain bullets in it as I like the downrange performance of the heavier bullets.

John in Oregon

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Barrel Twist

For 40 Gr. Bullets I have a 1:14 Hart and could not be happier . However , it was originally set-up for 50 Gr. PolyTips which it shot well . After some use , I switched to 40 Gr. Vmax because my maximum range was 400 Yards , and I preferred the flatter trajectory . I could not get the 40 gr. Vmax any closer than 0.030 inch from the Lands , and that was with the bullets seated way out . Lucky for me that this outfit was pretty insensitive to bullet jump . If you set-up for 40s , you will probably have to seat the heavy bullets well into the Case if they are PolyTips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.