Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of these shotguns? I looked at a couple of guns today, and they look pretty decent for the money. The guy at the shop said they were made in the Benelli shop, and that he had sold a bunch of them. I'm looking for a "cheap" reliable semi-auto for crow hunting. Give me a report if you have a 2000, thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I own one......

I bought mine on the suggestion of charlie sterner, mine is in the MAX-4 camo pattern. So far I've run lord knows how many boxes of Rem 7 1/2 Dove loads through it, several 3" Mag Turkey loads, and some high brass 6's. I had a couple of issues with the bolt hanging open, but that was my faught for not lubing everything up after cleaning.

I held it up to my buddies Benelli and other that some styling changes, they are the same gun. He was kind sick when I told him what I spent on it!!! Phil

·
Registered
794 Posts
Stoger.........

Does anyone have one of these shotguns? I looked at a couple of guns today, and they look pretty decent for the money. The guy at the shop said they were made in the Benelli shop, and that he had sold a bunch of them. I'm looking for a "cheap" reliable semi-auto for crow hunting. Give me a report if you have a 2000, thanks.
Stoeger was a company all it's own until they were bought by Beretta several years ago. Their shotguns are still made in their original factory under the Quailty control of Beretta. It was a Stoeger engineer who designed the action which Beretta used in the manufacturing of the Benelli Super Black Eagles.
Stoegers are very good shotguns for the money. You want find any fancy wood in their wood furniture products. Their Condor series of O/U shotguns are very good shooters for the money and the line of SXS they make are good shooters too. I know a couple of guys who own 2000's and they like them very much.

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
yep, LOVE mine

I've had mine about 4-5 years now and absolutely love it. It is NOT the same as the Super Black Eagle because it doesn't handle 3 1/2" mags, only 3". It is more similar to the Montifeltro. I've never felt the need for 3 1/2" inch shells anyway. I have a 870 Supermag and can't say they kill any better than a good 3". Actually, 3" shells typically have higher velocities than 3 1/2's so they hit harder.

Nonetheless, it is a great gun, a better design, IMO than the Benelli. Reason being, the inertia (spring) mechanism is under the forend, not in the buttstock. Benelli's are great guns, but they experience problems when exposed to mud and muck. Dirt and water gets into the spring tube in the buttstock and corrodes the tube/spring and it's nearly impossible to clean. Stoeger's design, having the spring under the forend (over the magazine tube) enables you to easily clean and lube the spring and carrier.

That said, I have experienced slight problems with a sticky bolt on my Stoeger as Phil mentioned also. The problem comes from being lubed improperly with the wrong grease. Both times I've had this happen, the gun has been wet/dirty and it's been extremely cold. I've experimented with a couple different lubes and think I've come up with the best method to fix this problem. (Phil, pay attention!)

What I've done is to disassemble the gun, take the bolt out and the spring off, clean and degrease everything, then lube the outside of the magazine tube and the rails, spring and slide with Moly Bore Prep. This product has moly suspended in a liquid that evaporates off, leaving a thin film of moly on the surface. The moly is a dry lube that won't attract dirt and won't be affected by moisture. I used my gun Tuesday on a snow goose hunt and even in 19* temps, the bolt was very quick to cycle. I hope I have the solution. So far so good.

In summary, buy it, you'll like it!

Charlie

PS - plus you can cycle 4 shells, even when plugged to 3 shell capacity. there's a little trick involved, but it works nicely. ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking for a "crow" gun, multi-shot without spending a lot of $. A local shop has some, blue finish, black plastic stock for $379. I'd rather have camo, but he doesn't have one. A 3" is plenty for me, and I could make a back-up turkey gun out of it. Will this gun shoot reloads? I load only AA hulls, 3 3/4-1 1/4 oz loads, or 3 1/4-1 1/4 oz for crows. As wild as they have been lately, I need the heavy loads. Sounds like a pretty decent gun for the money. Thanks....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks all

I too have been looking at them. I have a 3-1/2" pump, but I wanted an auto for hunting the river bottoms for ducks. I wouldn't mind a 3-1/2" auto, but for the one or two times a year I'd use the big hulls I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. I have heard from the guys behind the counter they are not the greatest, but none have owned one. I think they were just working on selling a more costly gun to me...
I do like that action a lot.

Steven

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not on the gun but reloads

For crows try the old NRA load of 7625 and an 1-1/8 of shot)6's is what I like) and the AA case. Way back before steel the NRA did a test on gunning distance and kills and came up with this load. MEM here Think it was about 1600 FPS but held pattern well, I used a reduced load for trap shooting $$ game where the trap house was 40 yards and did real well. It is devistating on ducks and on crows and saves a bit on shot because of the 1-1/8 load. I even loaded a few with 2's and when all were done shooting I'd pop the duck with this load(before steel).

LEN

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Len, I'm not familiar with 7625, is that a powder #? I don't load but a couple of powders, both Hodgdon, but 7625 doesn't ring a bell. A fps of 1600 has to be hot, according to my book, the 3 3/4 load is running about 1330 fps. Do you have any idea where I could find the NRA info? Maybe another powder will suffice? Appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
the gun will shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells no problem

The gun will shoot anything, reloads or factory. I've shot superlight 7/8 oz loads up to heavy 3" mags without a hitch. There's no gas piston crap to worry with like most autoloaders, only a simple spring to cycle the bolt. That's the beauty of the inertia system.

Charlie

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking for a "crow" gun, multi-shot without spending a lot of $. A local shop has some, blue finish, black plastic stock for $379. I'd rather have camo, but he doesn't have one. A 3" is plenty for me, and I could make a back-up turkey gun out of it. Will this gun shoot reloads? I load only AA hulls, 3 3/4-1 1/4 oz loads, or 3 1/4-1 1/4 oz for crows. As wild as they have been lately, I need the heavy loads. Sounds like a pretty decent gun for the money. Thanks....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.