Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first the 177 slug is from Precision Ballistics out of the UK, second the slug is designed for sub12 FPE, when you crack the FPE a little you get explosive results.

Backstory is that watching YouTube (like many of us do) I learned of a new product out of the UK, 177 slugs designed for low power situations, either legal or practically and this intrigued me. So I opted to buy some when I was in the Netherlands to save some shipping costs, UK to the Netherlands than UK to USA.

Anyways, after I returned to the USA I wanted to try the slugs in my old Brocock Compatto in 177 my buddy now owns. We loaded up our guns, 2 Taipans in 25 cal and the Brocock in 177.

After about 20 birds, mixed bag, I wanted to take the Brocock and head to the barn for sparrows. The Taiapns are too powerful for indoor shooting because both guns can shoot 45-70 FPE, which is way too much and will go through the side of a barn which makes unhappy farmer. So for the indoor job I used the 177 Brocock, and I decided to take a moment to try out the sub 12 slugs (mako is series name) in a 18 FPE Brocock.

Well, in either the first or second bird the pops made it clear the slugs were expanding, and as you can see the exit wound basically blew the back out of the English house sparrow. I still need to chronograph the slugs, but I am estimating they are running around 15 FPE. The pop from the 177 slug’s impact was as loud, I swear, as Hades pellets from the 25 cal Taipan.

When I went to pick the bird up the backside of the bird was handing out the other end, very icky.

Bird Arthropod Beak Wing Feather

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Icky indeed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts