Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was thinking about this target and scoring warm up and all that.
So my thoughts are how about instead of 10 rounds on the table and 10 min match with a short warm up.
How about a straight 10 min match with unlimited shots.
The catch ..you could only have 10 shots in the scoring rings for every shot over in the rings is a 5
Point deduction from your score.

Just thinking out loud ..
Gesture Art Font Drawing Tree

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Not sure I'm crazy about that idea, Big G. Your deduction system would make it waaay too easy for someone on a neighboring bench to sink your boat by firing 2-3 random shots into your target. Not saying that would ever happen, but it could. Also, when you say "a straight 10 min match," does that mean you'd eliminate the warm-up?

What I would be interested in is if you draw a line across the bellybutton of that critter, then put one or two small adhesive dots below that line and allow unlimited sighters on those dots. Seems to me it might help both newbies and our more experienced shooters.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Would you need backers to ensure that 10 shots were fired ? Kermit’s laser Ruger is perfectly capable of shooting a ragged little 1/4” hole with 10 shots at 200 yards………with someone else shooting it, of course.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you need backers to ensure that 10 shots were fired ? Kermit’s laser Ruger is perfectly capable of shooting a ragged little 1/4” hole with 10 shots at 200 yards………with someone else shooting it, of course.
With all the one hole all day long rugers we might need moving backers ...

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I hadn't thought of it until now, but putting 10 shots on the same target could result in some sticky situations. If Kermit puts 3-4 shots in one ragged hole in the 10 ring, then also puts 2-3 in one ragged hole down in the 7 ring of the lower bull, how would anyone know the # of bullets in each cluster? That won't be a problem on my target, but at 200 yards we do have a few shooters who can pack the shots in pretty tight.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Just to clarify George, scoring rings? You may mean anything inside the outline (which you have already marked zero), not just a ring.
Afa cross firing, always a possibility.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I like the idea of five shots instead of 10, but with unlimited sighters. I honestly think it would make scoring easier. I'm not crazy about the "no wind flags" rule, but it certainly adds a twist.

I'd like to throw out one more thought. It seems to me one of the major goals of this shoot has been to encourage young shooters, female shooters, and newbies of any type. The first time I visited in 2004, all I had to shoot was a deer rifle and a couple of sandbags, but I was welcomed and helped. If we could fit it in, I'd love to see a Novice Relay, or maybe just have the newbies register as such and then have them shoot along with everyone else. I realize the fake wood is already made up at this point, but we could at least announce someone as the Top Novice Shooter.

Here are my favorites in the PA rules that Charlie posted:

Scoring: The official scorers are not paid professionals and are doing the best they can. If you believe your target is scored incorrectly politely bring it to their attention. If you are rude about it, your score will very likely stay the same. Scored targets will be available once all scoring for that round is complete and logged.

Starting Time: The National Anthem will be played before the first relay. If you feel the need to kneel…. just stay home.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Mike, that's because you're all BR shooters. The PA shoots were designed for the regular Joe to compete. There are no flags in a groundhog field. Different ballgame all together. And, they shoot 1 rifle at 3 different yardages. Shippensburg is 200, 300 and 500 Meters (547 yards) and there are some pretty good shooters there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like what you are saying Charlie, I think that would be great, 5 shots, 10 minutes. KF, I am with you on the novice relay, I will provide a first place prize of some sort to the winner, worth $30 a brick of .22s or a pocket knife of value. What say you folks

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
@charlie sterner those are some Great Rules, and I like the NO Wind Flags idea also. Of Course. I don't shoot Paper and can barely stand to xZero, but I plan on shooting a PD rifle this time in the shoot just for old times sake.

I dont care what the rules or targets are, I hope I can figure it out and just SHOOT. Carry on....
Coyote George, do what ever you wish...I am good with it.

Reactions: CarlP
1 - 20 of 24 Posts