Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down to the decision of caliber on a new custom rifle.
I have a Rem 700 SA and I am going to use the factory detachable magazine.
The rifle will be lighter than a 700 Varmint and heavier than a sporter.
I am thinking #4 or #5 barrel 23/24 long.
Windy day calling rifle, needs to be portable and have DRT authority.
No concern for single hole fur collecting.
60 to 75gr bullets in 22
75 to 90gr bullets in 243
85 to 120gr bullets in 264

Caliber is one of three 22/243, 243, or 260

I was considering Ackley Improved but I am concerned about feeding problems.
I have read that in the 22/243 don't do it......no need. It just waste barrel life fire forming.
Strait 243ai some say yes some say feeding from the magazine can be a problem.
On the 260 I like the stocker but a little more speed could be good if it will feed properly.

If you have had any of these calibers and or Ackley Improved what was your expieriance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I own a few rifles

In both Ackley's and std. I have had or do have a 224 Clark, 243 Win , and 6mmAI. I seem to always go back to the straight 243 Win. My current rifle of choice is a std 243 Win in a T3 Tikka with a Burris BDC scope. I have been very pleased with this combo. It even took the place of a full custom 257AI as my truck gun.
AI is fine and I was a big AI nut for awhile. Now I am back to a std version on most things. For me a bolt rifle needs to feed fast even when cycled fast without looking and at odd angles. I have AI's that feed fine but not as well as the round a rifle was designed for.

Scott

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ackley Improved

I have two Ackley Improved calibers and I love it that I haven't had to trim a neck yet after forming them. In a long action the improvement never seams to hinder cycling in the 700.

I also have a 243AI (short action):) and I know it will cycle but I normally shoot it as a single shot not using the magazine hardly ever so I guess my opinion on that one probably doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the same rifle (Rem M700 DBM) with a 243AI. It feeds fine from the mag.

I had one in a standard BDL that gave the occaisional problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the .260 may be perfect...

I've NEVER owned one,,but it does look like a very desirable caliber in a very desirable case. I'm a 25 caliber fan,,but since no one wants to 'factory' a good 25 on a .308 case,,the .260 is pretty close to it! The Ackley Improved version might be fun if the standard gets boring.
Alan in GA [one of the 750].

·
Registered
811 Posts
260ai......

I have a 260AI in a Rem. 700 mountain rifle arrangement. As such I have had little or no feed problems. As stated, I did polish the feed ramp with my dremel tool as I did have the same concerns. No feed problems as yet. The 260AI has accounted for many deer and antelope. For that matter I have an XP-100R in the same configuration. That is how much I like the cartridge. Both are very accurate and I would not hesitate to use the 260AI, with 120BT, mountain rifle for elk. Good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ackleys

I had a ,223 on a Rem700 adl action.
Was a fine rifle & accurate cartridge.
But what's the point, I got 150+ fps, which I could get from a 22-250, with a lot less hassle.
Yes I know that it is more efficient/less powder, but I probably won't do it again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am down to the decision of caliber on a new custom rifle.
I have a Rem 700 SA and I am going to use the factory detachable magazine.
The rifle will be lighter than a 700 Varmint and heavier than a sporter.
I am thinking #4 or #5 barrel 23/24 long.
Windy day calling rifle, needs to be portable and have DRT authority.
No concern for single hole fur collecting.
60 to 75gr bullets in 22
75 to 90gr bullets in 243
85 to 120gr bullets in 264

Caliber is one of three 22/243, 243, or 260

I was considering Ackley Improved but I am concerned about feeding problems.
I have read that in the 22/243 don't do it......no need. It just waste barrel life fire forming.
Strait 243ai some say yes some say feeding from the magazine can be a problem.
On the 260 I like the stocker but a little more speed could be good if it will feed properly.

If you have had any of these calibers and or Ackley Improved what was your expieriance.
I just built a 223 AI and I use a single shot adaptor so I done have any worries about feeding. But, if I did want to use the magazine, would be in deep dodo. The 223 AI is just too short to feed reliably. I've found that a good smooth chamfer on the barrel helps alot and so does a smooth chamber.

panhandlepr

·
Registered
556 Posts
as much as I like the 6.5 calibers....

for what you are wanting, I would surely go with the 22-243 and an 8 twist barrel. There are 4-5 of them around my neighborhood, and everyone that has one "really" likes it. It will shoot the 65-80 grain bullets really well, and I have seen some some fantastic shooting "way out there". http://outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/coy-9.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts