Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
I agree with the 223

I have 2 and would like to get me another one or 2. Killed alot of groundhogs 300yds with both. You can get ammo about anywhere[if you dont reload and its pretty cheep]. Georgia Arms has some of the best I,ve tried. As for gun you can get good ones in about any brand. Savage,CZ,Rem,win,Ruger. and all the rest. Just depends on which you like. Very little recoil and lots of fun to shoot. Hope this helps.

Donnie

·
Registered
826 Posts
Recently I shot a Rem 700 in 223 from Wal Mart......

plastic stock with "package" 3x9 scope on it and I shot 3/4" with my hand loads and did not touch the gun.

If you want more power, then the Wal mart Savage Plastic Stock 243 package gun with the Accutrigger. The one that I shot for my neighbor shot
1" with Factory Hornady 100g SPBT loads...I was impressed to say the least for a 3-9 scope that was worth about $19.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if ya really want cheap but still good you can go the single shot route with one of h&r new ultra varmint fluted stainless bull barrel with pistol grip stock and feels good in the hans and the scope comes right up were you need it comes with bases sling and hammer extender around $300

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mostly agree on the 223

They about the best all around rifle at and under 300 yards. But you could do the same with a 204 or the 6MM,. That way with the 6MM you could use it for more than one thing. Deer hunting and larger game than ground hogs and yotes. If you reload this even makes more of a good idea.
Just my 2cents worth.
Get the 6MM and make your day.
Mike Murphy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.