Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's first a Ruger, but are they really good shooters? There is one for sale at a lofty price with a really pretty wood stock. Should I spend $1000?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have no firsthand knowledge but l have wanted one for years. They generally have very pretty wood . Some are extremely figured. From what I have read some are extremely good shooters others are almost impossible to get to shoot even reasonably well. I believe this is one of those times that you pay your money, take your chance, and hope for the best.

·
Administrator
1,787 Posts
I have no firsthand knowledge but l have wanted one for years. They generally have very pretty wood . Some are extremely figured. From what I have read some are extremely good shooters others are almost impossible to get to shoot even reasonably well. I believe this is one of those times that you pay your money, take your chance, and hope for the best.
Like Tom I have always wanted one, they are a beautiful rifle, but what experience I have had was mostly second hand. With all the troubles people have had getting them to shoot I would not spend $1000.00 for one and take the chance if it would shoot or not. Of course I am a T/C person so I more likely spend my $1000. on a T/C Encore and a couple of barrels, a little measuring to get the cartridge headspace and you are good to go, and most of the wood you get on them is pretty good too.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Kermit would say Buy it, but this is one of the most notoriously inaccurate Ruger models. Son has one....beautiful POS. Ask W D Swift what he thinks, as he has a lot of knowledge about Rugers

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
What caliber? As a rule, most single shots, shoot best with a rimmed case, that is they headspace on the rim, 30/30, 45/70 as an example. If i ever find a Ruger #1 in 7x57, at a even close to decent price, it will come home with me. I had a .243 that would shoot 3/4"@100yds, 3 shot group, and a 45/70 that wouldl shoot a ragged hole at 100yds with 3 different loads, and shoot close to the same impact. Bottom line, is they are a classy, classic gun, made for hunting, and should shoot around 1" with factory ammo.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I own a Ruger No. 1 in 22 Hornet it is 1.5 at a 100 yards , can't ask a Hornet to much better than that. If the wood appeals to you - buy it. JMHO Mike

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
204 I wanted a 204 to night time coyote hunt. None could be found so I picked up a 223 Howa 1500. Got to get a decent scope for it.

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
A friend of mine has two of them and had a third a 22 Hornet. The Hornet was so, so but the other two, a heavy barrel 223 and a 6mm Rem have always been quite accurate. As I understand it when Ruger used Wilson barrels it was a hit or miss whether the rifle would be accurate or not. Since Ruger started producing their own barrels the rifles have been good. I have two 77 MKII's a 243 and a 6mm that will both shoot five shot groups of 1/2" or less.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've got my brother's 458Lott S/S Ruger #1. It shoots pretty good, but with that caliber it kills on one end and wounds on the other.

Reactions: charlie sterner

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a #3 in 22 Hornet I picked up at an auction in 1979 or so. Put a new stock on it of really nice walnut. Have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it shoot well including tension via bedding and pressure with the main spring hanger bar. I didn't use this but the idea was the same for tension, Ruger Number 1 Hicks Accurizer (eabco.net)

Chamber is oversized so use a Lee collet neck sizer to not size the case body with a FL die. With 40 grain bullets Nosler BTs I can't even get bullets into the case and reach out to the lands. Using Lil Gun powder I have a load that will group about 1.25" at 100 yards. Has worked well on P-dogs out to 200 yards. Think it would be more accurate with a better chamber.

As others have said, these guns are kind of a hit and miss for accuracy (bad pun intended) but they are beautiful rifles.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
acpchuck, I have a No.3 in 22 Hornet also. Those rifle have a 1:16 twist, and they don't like long bullets. The best load for my No.3 Hornet I have ever found is a 30gr Berger using AA1680 and small rifle primer, and that was right at 0.5"for 5 at 100yds. 40grVmax will group just under an inch. I also have three other 22 Hornets, all bolt actions, and they will all group under 0.5 inch for 5 at 100 yds. The key to an accurate 22 Hornet is using brass fired in your chamber, and then only neck-size the brass after that until you need to anneal.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My Number 1 is in 45-70 and like most No1's has nice wood. It doesn't shoot quite as well as Sam's does but thats probably me and not the rifle. I shoot mostly cast in it, a traditional looking bullet weighing 405 grains. Its strong enough to load it pretty hot but I but I keep it pretty mild, just a little faster than the original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts