Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought a 10/22 and the safety does not work. He wants to field strip it to all the various parts, including seperating the barrel and receiver. He would also like suggestions for a heavy barrel and stock to go on it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rimfire central

Go to Rimfirecentral. Everything you could possibly want to know about 10/22s is available there.

The trigger group will come out once the two pins are removed. You didn't say in what way the safety isn't working but I would guess that a previous owner had tried to do some trigger work. Check the relationship of the trigger, disconnector and safety. The safety button is easily removed by turning it halfway then pushing it out. The barrel comes off with the removal of two allen head screws and the barrel block under the barrel.

Lots of people make barrels and stocks. Green Mountain barrels and Boyds stocks are very popular.

Dale

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also note that with some stocks, even after you have the two trigger-group pins out, you have to position and hold the safety button midway between ON and OFF (in other words, center it) to get the trigger group out and in.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Do not take the safety button out. You will play h3ll trying to get it back in. The safety on the 10/22 does not move unless the action/hammer is cocked.
The sear stops the safety button from moving. You do not need to center the safety button to remove the two cross pins. You center the button to remove the action from the stock. Once you drive the 2 pins out, the trigger group will basically fall out. When you have the trigger group out you can cock the hammer back and see that the safety will work then. Release the hammer, by holding it down with your thumb and then pull the trigger. Now you can see that the sear interfers and the safety button will not move.
Note: You cannot remove the the trigger group or the 2 cross pins until the action is out of the stock. If you have further questions, send me a e-mail or PM.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OMR is 100% correct on the safety removal

I anodized several of these actions/trigger group... That safet spring/detent is one of the bigger pains I have ever dealt with

If the safety does not work, it may be because someone has been tinkering with the trigger pull itself, if all else fails, Ruger will fix it for free, but remember when they fix it it will be sent back bone stock, including any aftermarket trigger upgrades etc etc

Clint

·
Registered
615 Posts
check Midway for barrel and free stock

Adams & Bennett barrel and camo synthetic stock looks great for under $90. They also have schematic of 10/22.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
other stock and barrel options

The advice to got to rimfire central is dead on. The Green Mountain barrels are the most bang for your buck. They have many options. I am partial to Revival Industries stocks myself. Have several of them.

As for trigger/safety/barrel removals or mods, you have already heard the best advice available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.