Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with picking out the right scope to mount on my new rifle. I will be hunting bobcats and coyotes in south georgia.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 22/250 has great range capability. In my opinion it is worth a 6.5 to 20 of some sort. If your on a budget, try the Simmons Whitetail. If ya saved a little from Christmas get a Leupold. :D

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
Georgia Scope Options...

From what I've seen in GA of the distances you would expect to engage Ole' Wiley, you would do well to keep the magnification down and the wide angle wide.

A lot of guys would probably recommend a lesser power scope like a 3-9. I'd suggest something 4 - 12 or 4.5 - 14 range which is my personal preference. I've found the 4.5 setting ideal for fairly close in shots and the 14 sufficient for long range Pdog shooting.

Obviously Leupold would be the best, but if budget is a concern I've heard good things about the Nikon Monarch scopes(But I've never owned one). The Nikon 4-12x40 Monarch UCC sells for $285.95 at SWFA.

Whatever you get, even a Leupold, get one with an AO. I replaced two Leupold 4.5-14x40 scopes with an AO model due to the excessive parallax.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Another option is the Bushnell 4-16 4200....

really great optics! The 4x is all you need for the close shots and the 16x is great for taking those 250 yd shots at crows.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If I hunted where you do - I'd have a 3 x 9 Leupold Vari XII on my 22-250. It has a large field of view and good eye relief - both of which allow you to get into action quickly. If $$ are tight, I also like my Sightron II in 3 x 9 that has been an excellent performer for under $200. With either scope - keep it dialed in at 3 or 4 power while hunting.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Be sure to get at least a 4 X 16 You may not need 16 while you are Coyote hunting but I have a feeling you will use it for other critters also. Personally I like a lot of XXX and I would go with a 6 X 24, but a lot of people will disagree with that choice. I think a Sightron is a good scope for the money; my suggestion is to buy Whatever scope you want, but buy it off this Message Board from someone here.
Ruger. I just hope you don't have the one I traded in for a gunsafe; If so then you won't need a scope...you could do as well with a Brick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts