Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any thoughts on Rugers new precision 22lr? I got to take a close look at one yesterday at the local shop. I like the looks of it, the 10/22 mags fit this rifle and I have several of them, adjustable trigger, threaded, stock adjustable. If you have any thoughts or have bought one let me know that you think. Thanks for your thoughts,

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm not too thrilled with their appearance, but a feller I know in MO has one, and his shoots pretty well, at least the pics of his groups are pretty darned good.
I've had a bunch of Ruger rimfire rifles over the years, but they have never really impressed me, even the 77/22s and two RARs I have now. They don't shoot as well as I think they should.
Whether the RPRim has one of those rather common-shooting barrels is the question, frankly.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
How much trouble is it to change the bbl on a RP 22LR? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How much trouble is it to change the bbl on a RP 22LR? Anybody know?

According to Ruger's website, you can use an AR wrench to remove the barrel and swap it out for another.

With everyone and their first cousins building ARs these days, those wrenches are easy to come by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my RPR. It shoots as good as my thousand dollar custom 10/22. I have more than the cost of the RPR just in the barrel on the 10/22. Mine likes SK rifle match or Eley Edge and will shoot well inside MOA at 50 yards. Under 6 inch groups at 200 yards. Changing the barrel is no big deal. In fact, I would recommend that if you purchase one you remove the barrel in your initial cleaning. Whatever Ruger uses as an assembly lube leaves a pretty nasty residue in the barrel/receiver area.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My son picked one up about 3 months ago and loves it. He put a new nightforce $$$$ on it and has been putting some serious range time with it. He puts suppressor on it and on bad days sits under porch of the hunting lodge and bangs away. We have a 100 yard range off the porch.
Not sure of the brand of ammo he settled on (he tried about 15-20 different kinds). Will post here when I find out.
I do know with that nightforce scope, it is a serious gun. We have busted clay pigeons on regular rifle range VERY consistently at 250 yards.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
My only complaint is the round handguard makes shooting off the bench challenging. I found a 3" wide block that attaches via picatinny to give some flat platform and it works great.

FWIW I have a few very accurate. 22s so am probably going to purchase a Walther .17hm2 barrel and swap it out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That would be an interesting set-up. Like the man once said, "only accurate guns are interesting," LOL, or something like that. If we can't get them to shoot very accurately, we swap them off fast. Of course, I've swapped off many guns that I wish I had back (that shot accurately). I guess my attention span is too short.:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ruger

I have not owned nor will I own this rifle. However I have owned half dozen various Ruger rifles. I would never put Ruger and precision in the same sentence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts