Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into getting a new wheel gun.I really like the ruger sp 101(stainless) in the 32 H&R mag with the 4 inch barrel.Any input on this pistol good or bad would help before I buy it.I used to have a ruger security six (357 cal.)many moons ago that was a very nice pistol.I still kick myself in the butt for selling it.Thanks,frank c.:)

·
Registered
840 Posts
comments

I have 2 SP101's in 357, 3in+ barrels.

My only complaint (mild) is that they feel heavy for their size. The 22 and 32 seem even heavier. I would like a lighter one for a trail pistol. One has Hogue grips to fit my hand better. My wife likes the factory grip.

Bruce

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the

32 Mag in a S&W Airweight 2"....Somtimes you forget your "packin"...I like the little 32. I got it for the wifey.....but she seems to prefer the 3" 357 S&W I got her a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I seldom miss an opportunity to praise the .32 H&R Mag. I think you'll love it too.

For concealed carry, I would recommend a look at the S&W model 432 .32 Mag. MUCH lighter than the Ruger. Or, even lighter is the S&W model 332 that is no longer made but you can still find them.

I have nothing against Ruger - I really like their single action revolvers (.22/.22WMR and .32H&R Mag Singles Six; Bearcat; Super Blackhawk .44Mag) but the Ruger DA revolvers just seem so heavy, and I always preferred the S&W cylinder release mechanism over the Ruger.

I have been looking into getting a new wheel gun.I really like the ruger sp 101(stainless) in the 32 H&R mag with the 4 inch barrel.Any input on this pistol good or bad would help before I buy it.I used to have a ruger security six (357 cal.)many moons ago that was a very nice pistol.I still kick myself in the butt for selling it.Thanks,frank c.:)

·
Registered
928 Posts
The 32H&R Mag is definitely a small caliber worth looking into as a self defense round. With ammo like the Speer Gold Dot, its a handful. I would carry one in a NYC minute. I agree with the others that the Ruger's drawback would be the weight, I would prefer one of the S&W Airweights, maybe one of the Scandium frame models. Light as a feather.
Ken

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have had a Ruger ssa 32 H&R for 5 years & love it. I agree with the above that the 101 is too heavy for the calaber. I'd buy a 101 in 357 but it's perfect in a ssa.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.I recently bought a marlin 1894 cowboy chambered in the 32 H&R mag and really enjoy shooting this round.I never researched this 32 h&r mag.cal. until recently.The ruger sp101 would be more for home defense and target shooting.I currently have a Kimber pro CDP 45 cal.for my home defense gun,but I think the wife would be able to handle the 32 cal. round better.I was also going to add a crimson trace laser site to the ruger also.Thanks again,frank c.:D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have two SP101s Frank.

Both are 357s and have the shorter barrel length. The difference is that one is the spurless hammer version. Here in PA, the law is no lasers for hunting, so on the spurless model that can only be fired DA, I added a set of CTC Laser Grips. I really like the set up. If I'm headed anywhere where I think there may be a chance at a "varmint", I carry the SP without the laser. If I'm going out shopping or for dinner, I carry the laser gripped version. (CCW licensed) The SP spurless is just about snagfree designed and can be carried in a pocket holster fairly comfortable. For those that don't know it, PA is Non-Semi cartridge firearms for hunting. Shotgun and shot is OK, but thats about it. Go figure! Take care, Bill................

·
Registered
861 Posts
Slight Problem.

I have scoured the Smith & Wesson web site, and they do not list any pistol in .32 H&R Magnum. They don't even have that caliber on their caliber list. So, where did you guys get one? I have a 642 Airweight in .38 Special, but I think one in .32 H&R Magnum would be a good one to carry.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Here's one on Gunbroker.com....

Roger,

Perhaps it's been discontinued? Sorry Roger - Here's the link: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63173394

Sid

I have scoured the Smith & Wesson web site, and they do not list any pistol in .32 H&R Magnum. They don't even have that caliber on their caliber list. So, where did you guys get one? I have a 642 Airweight in .38 Special, but I think one in .32 H&R Magnum would be a good one to carry.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi Sid,

I guess they could be. None of the models listed in this post are shown in the .32 mag, or is any other model. Maybe I'll look on Gunbroker.

ThJudg (Roger)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts