Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quite a film, and a must see in my opinion. There have been very few films that have moved me as much as this one. It is thought provoking, and extremely un-nerving.

One really cannot call it true science fiction, since it shows a world with the same problems we have today ( terrorism, pollution, disease, illegal immigration, etc. ), only that they have all become much, much worse. The story grips you from the very beginning, and never lets go.

And while the ending may be somewhat predictable, the way the characters gets there is definitely not. There are some major unexpected twists to the plot that I certainly did not see coming at all. Just as Private Ryan made you feel you were among a squad of soldiers in combat, you will in a similar way feel you are living in this terrifying future.

The movie definitely deserves its R rating, for extremely brutal and realistic violence. So don't bring any kids along with you. There are some very strong female characters in the film, and I think many women will enjoy it, despite the explicit violence. For there are many touching human moments as well.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks Lance. I was told it was made by British producers, the Radwood Green M16 magazine floorplate in the second pic and proliferation of SA80s in the last pic may be enough to confirm that ;). I saw 'All the King's Men' remake on DVD last night, well worth seeing. For some reason 'Flags of our Fathers' hasn't gotten here yet but I am looking forward to that one.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The story is set in the UK

in the year 2027. London is one of the few major cities in the world either not destroyed or in total anarchy. In the opening scene, it is noted in a news broadcast that the siege of Seattle is in its 60th day, so America appears to be under attack. Most of the characters are supposed to be British citizens, and thus have British accents.

There is some really great acting by Michael Caine, Julianne Moore, and Clive Owen. Pam Ferris and Claire-Hope Ashity are also impressive.

At first you feel some sympathy for the terrorist group called The Fishers. But that rapidly changes, as the plot thickens.

"300" opens in early March, and "Zodiac" in June. I'm looking forward to both of those movies also. In an interesting real life note, the parents of the producer of "Zodiac" went to school with and knew one of the Zodiac murder victims. I was in high school in the San Francisco Bay Area while the Zodiac killings were happening, so I remember the case very well.

Lance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts