Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In American Rifleman magazine in case you missed it, or someone else already posted it and I'm blind. One way to ruin TC in my opinion.....:(

·
Registered
726 Posts
One should note that Thompson/Center Arms is a privately held company. Such companies have a hard time growing beyond a certain point. So this really is good news, as the company will be able to raise capital much easier.

The current owners of Thompson/Center, though, are now very wealthy people. They will now be able to retire in style.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking for the Long Guns....

Looks like S&W seen it as a very good way to get into the "Long Gun" market and the Charcoal Burners... :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "Bean Counters" don't start running it again. That was their problem before...

We shall see......:cool:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I will be heading to Rochester, NH this weekend and will be stopping at T/C and will inquire as to what this sale means for T/C. I personally do not think that the great products that T/C offers will remain top quality and that S+W will eventually suck them dry. Remember that S+W made a deal with BATFE years ago about putting safeties on their firearms, I expect that the BATFE with the new support of S+W will bring an end to the long debate about handguns and rifles being able to be easily converted to the other. Also, I bet that T/C will find a way to put safeties on the Encore and Contender which will most likely degrade their reliability and lightweight.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Remember that S+W made a deal with BATFE years ago about putting safeties on their firearms, I expect that the BATFE with the new support of S+W will bring an end to the long debate about handguns and rifles being able to be easily converted to the other. .
Gary:

Your comments are not appropriate. Smith & Wesson was a foreign owned company when they made that deal with the Clinton Administration. A British firm was their parent company, and calling all the shots then. Since handguns are now illegal for anyone to even own in Great Britain, let alone purchase, they probably thought the Clinton Administration was being most reasonable.

The new American owners should not be penalized or criticized at all for the acts of the past British owners.

As far as the trouble TC Arms had with the BATF, that went all the way to the US Supreme Court, and TC Arms won the case! There is nothing the BATF can do at this point, unless the new Democratic Congress, together with a new Democratic President elected in 2008, decide to pass new gun laws. The Supreme Court ruled that the current law was too vague, in order to be enforced against the TC conversion kits. New legislation would definitely have to be past for them to have any further problems with this issue, as the Supreme Court has the final say whenever they rule on an issue.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
S&W

Why would S&W buy TC? Answer: Because it is successful, and making a profit. Why would S&W make major changes to a profitable company? Answer: They would not. TC can offer alot to S&W. In my opinion it will be mostly in the casting of metals. That is the expertise of TC. Casting is also the expertise of Ruger. I imagine S&W will be using TC's casting ability to offer a larger line, such as Ruger.

I do not believe "The sky is falling" at TC or S&W. This could easily be a good thing. Company's change hands all the time. Tom.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A friend of mine the other day told me it cost him 65.00 to have an old style frame converted to a easy open new style frame. Sounds to me that the days of the freebee's that TC offered are over?:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.