Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old man isn't happy with the accuracy of the factory upper 16"barrel. Any suggestions for uppers and calibers? I'd assume a longer barrel, 20-22" would work but I'm not sure how to make it stable enough for a long heavy barrel...

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
What ammo is being used and what level of accuracy? Don't expect much for the accuracy of steel cased FMJ military-surplus clones, or if using open sights.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Also I have found most 16" barrels with the cut for the M-203 are not that accurate. I have and friends have 16"ers that shoot quite well when they don't have that cut. I think that cut allows the end of the barrel to whip around too much...

Steven

·
Registered
489 Posts
I trust this would be accurate enough for your needs. Bushmaster Varminter 24" barrel, with my hand loads. 268 yards lasered. My S-I-L was the shooter.

FWIW...these Nosler 50 grain BT's are awesome. I have a friend that shot some my hand loads, same bullets in his 22-250. Best he did before was about 1 1/2". These went into one hole.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
You could also just go with a barrel swap and sell yours. It would required going to rifle length gas tubes anad handguards, but you'd probably get out cheaper than a full upper.

FWIW I have a 20" Colt Competition HBar Match and a 24" Rock River heavy barrel that shoots like Indie's there. My 16" will too, but accuracy falls off fast past 300 yards. I am guessing it is a velocity thing.

As far as calibers, there are lots of choices for the AR now. .204, .20 Practical, etc, etc, etc. I have several alernate calibers for larger game but all my varmint/ small game guns are 5.56 or .223. Just makes it a lot easier to find components.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For accuracy it takes three things..

good ammo

good barrel

good shooter

There are obviously other factors, but if you don't have those three you're not gonna shoot small

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Don't forget the largest of natural variables

WIND............a physical force that plays a role as soon as the barrel is cleared, no matter the caliber.

·
Registered
928 Posts
For very accurate uppers, take a look at what White Oak Armament offers.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=261

Be prepared to pay the price and have a lot of patience waiting for it to arrive but you will be pleased when it arrives.
+1 for WOA uppers. I shoot one in Service rifle and they build some of the best. Compass Lake Engineering is another good upper to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts