Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a broken S&W41 sitting in storage for over 5 years. I took it in trade from a gun club and it was missing the slide-release lever and the magazine(s). I never fired it or even looked at it properly. Then a friend offered me a 'like new' one in trade and I shot it a bit - very nice gun to shoot but I already have a ton of nice suppressed .22s and didn't want to cut up a valuable gun to suppress it. Then I realised last Friday the barrel could come off just by pulling down the trigger guard!!!!!????? What a great idea (that passed me like a full bus).

I called my friend, trade made. I shortened and threaded the match barrel from the scrap gun which was an old one with the cocking indicator at the back. The old ones have the front sight soldered into a woodruff key slot, the newer ones have the front sight machined from the same block of steel as the barrel and cannot be removed. I cut a new key slot and epoxied the sight back on (ran out of flux). I then drilled and tapped the slide for a 10/22 mount and fitted the only one I could find on my bench - this will be replaced with a nice black Picatinny 10/22 mount as soon as I get one. Even with this 'tallish' mount the iron sights work. My next plan is to make a thread protector that looks like a muzzle brake which is flat on the sides and indexed to the slide so it matches the gun. A bit of refinishing, a nice Burris red dot sight to replace this cheap Chinese one and project done.

Note: shortening this barrel improved the handling mucho. I will seek another scrap gun and shorten the barrel without the threaded extension for the suppressor - close to a 1911 Commander in length.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Who's suppressor is that?

And how well does it work? It was years ago, but I shot a S&W 41 suppressed with the addition of a "hold close" button to eliminate the bolt clatter from cycling. He shot it mainly with that dis-engaged, but with it engaged you could easily hear a bullet hit soft sand. His can was slightly larger though...

Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.