Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the average guy install a Wolff spring kit ( mainspring and rebound springs) in a 629 44 mag, or is this something for a gunsmith only? This sounds crazy, but I had an expensive action job done on this pistol a couple years back, and now it will only shoot with federal primers. But I want 100% reliable firing with any type of reloads or factory ammo I decide to feed it. I wanted a better trigger pull, but in hindsight, for a hunting pistol I wish I had left it as is from the factory. I was thinking about removing the springs that were installed and replacing them with the spring pack for $18.29 from Midway. I was hoping this would be a do-it-yourself job. Who out there can tell me if this is an easy job or big job?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might want to check the main spring screw it may be able to be tightened some solving your problem if not the spring are very easy to replace

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rebound spring will affect the double action trigger pull and the mainspring will give a harder hammer fall. As Big 45 said check the mainspring screw. A lot of guys just unscrew it a bit and hold it with loctite. But it is not a hard job to do. If you have to take the side plate off, don't pry it off. Take the screws out and rap it with a plastic hammer around the grip area and the plate will sort of pop off. The rebound spring is pretty heavy and, while you can do it without special tools, a rebound slide tool makes the job easier. But from what you say, you will just need to concentrate your efforts on the mainspring.

I don't think you have to remove the slide plate to change the mainspring.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebound spring will affect the double action trigger pull and the mainspring will give a harder hammer fall. As Big 45 said check the mainspring screw. A lot of guys just unscrew it a bit and hold it with loctite. But it is not a hard job to do. If you have to take the side plate off, don't pry it off. Take the screws out and rap it with a plastic hammer around the grip area and the plate will sort of pop off. The rebound spring is pretty heavy and, while you can do it without special tools, a rebound slide tool makes the job easier. But from what you say, you will just need to concentrate your efforts on the mainspring.

I don't think you have to remove the slide plate to change the mainspring.

Hope it helps...
Thanks Nutria and Big45---will give the screw a try first before messing with the springs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts