Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
27° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies with a coating of snow on the ground. The high temperature for today is to get up to about 32°. It will be a cloudy day all day with a mild breeze of about 5mph.

Yesterday a lot of my day was spent on gun club business, we have one person going for NRA RSO training today. Besides that, three of us officers had a discussion as to whether we want to have our property resurveyed. Today I am going to just try and do nothing but take it easy.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's 18, cloudy and 28 later. Another busy day yesterday though I got in a great nap around mid day. More stuff hauled home from Galen's for my wife.
Probably more of the same today. I would like to check out the gunshop, I ran out of 4895 yesterday and hope? They might have some.
Another week is passed,
Hope everyone has a great Saturday,
Ken

· Registered
538 Posts
26 breezy degrees to start of the weekend here in CT. The woodstove is chugging along and coming up to temperature after I let it burn down to clean the glass and take out the ashes. More lazing around is on tap for me today for the most part although I may take a ride over to the local gun shop and see what's on the shelves. Not really needing much but do like to see what's what.
Hope you all have a good 1st day of the weekend, looks like decent weather here until Sunday dinnertime and then more rain on the way. This year, I'll take the rain over the snow due to my circumstances.
Ken

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Mornin boys...
28 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Wish I could sleep in on the weekends but it's not happening...lol Not sure what we'll get in to today. May hit the pawnshop just to get out. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

· Registered
2,924 Posts
32° here but it’s nice and toasty next to the stove with a hot cup of coffee. Visited with Mom, my son and daughter yesterday after work. My daughter is a cat lover and was quite upset that one of hers had wandered off. She came over to borrow a cage trap, in hopes of getting him back. She called last night to inform me that he had just been spending time visiting with the neighbors and all is well now.
Marty’s car has been acting up so I will see if I can get to the bottom of that this morning. They say we could have accumulating snow tomorrow morning so I may stack up some more firewood closer to the house. Once those chores are done, it will be time to relax and reload.
Make it a good Saturday.

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 37 here with a beautiful pink Sunrise. Going to 40s later. We went out for dinner last night and it was packed to the gills. Never seen it like that. Hole in the wall bar that serves great food. We had a half hour wait for a table but service was great and fairly fast for how busy they were. Server said in ski season they get swamped.

I think today may be a great day to start cutting firewood out at the farm, at least for a few hours. I'll just cut and stack it for now until I have room to bring it home. I need to bring a little more inside and empty the sheds.

First off, coffee. Gotta go. Prayers offered

Charlie

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 36º and cloudy here headed for 50 with a light East wind. There are slight chances for rain in the afternoon.

Yesterdays big event was taking the Wife to a Doctor's appointment and waiting in the car for a few hours. We got home and watched a movie and took it easy.

Todays plans are going to the Deer Club for the afternoon. BIL plans to cook fish and most of the Guys that stay in his cabin are bringing their Wifes and kids and will spend the night. We'll shoot some at the range behind the house and I'm sure there will be a 4 wheeler ride around the lease. My Wife and I won't be staying, it just too much hassle loading up Her oxygen supplies and stuff for 1 night plus the house will be full. The Fish will probably be Crappi with maybe a few bass thrown in. The Wife made Peanut butter Fudge for the desert. I expect there will be an adult beverage or two after the shooting is over! :)

Genealogy; My Aunt did some research several years ago and it seems that our Family history is fairly short. Mom's side of the family emigrated here from Ireland in time for the Revolutionary War and My Grandfather on the other side emigrated here in the 1920's. He entered the Country at Ellis Island and my Aunt found his name in their records. Not much is known of His Family as a lot of those old records were destroyed from the bombing during WW2. Grandma was a bossy lady and when Grandpa would start talking about his family Grandma would interrupt telling him that wasn't the way it was! He would just quit talking.............. So who knows?

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 3below 0 this morning, Calm for now with chance of wind... always. Might get another flake or two tomorrow.
Mostly chores yesterday, got caught up on a bunch of things. Chopped ice out of water tanks, hauled a bale of hay and a bale of straw, (big bales). Hay
for the goats and straw for the pigs to bed in. Hauled wheat for the chickens also.
No coyotes were seen yesterday but bossmans grand kid got one.
Not sure what I'll do today but better get started, was nice to sleep in on a cold snowy morning.
Have a great Caturday, be safe and warm. Prayers for those with issues.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
There were a couple of interesting notes on Jan’s side of genealogy. One was a Tom Guynea or Guyna depending on whose spelling you believe. He was a New York actor after migrating from Ireland. He was a bit of a tipster, as well. He was on a board between two step ladders watching a parade and fell off the ladder and met his demise at an early age. The other interesting one was her great grand father, William Carpenter, who was a prisoner at Andersonville. He survived Andersonville and was released when Andersonville was liberated. He then walked back home to Marshall, Michigan and lived there only a few years before passing away. I suppose the prison life took a toll on him. I told Snuffy Smith of Macon, Georgia while at the Shamrock Match one year of that side of Jan. This was after he told us we should stop at Andersonville while on the way to Mickey Coleman’s place for a match the following weekend. I told him we intended to as all I needed way another excuse to hate Southerners. His jaw dropped and he told us of how those no good Yankee scum Captured his grandfather at Spotsylvania, Virginia and sent him to prison in Oneida, New York. After the war he refused to sign a paper to never again take up arms against the Union and so rather than get a train ride he walked back home to Macon, Georgia. Well, we both had awakenings as they were both captured at Spotsylvania, one Southern, one northerner and both walked great distances home. Can you imagine not being in great shape after prison for multiple years and walking through what was probably still enemy territory with no food and no water. Maybe stealing a chicken at night, not being seen, no freeways to follow. Most today wouldn’t make.
It’s 33 degrees and that will be the high today.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
32° headed to 44° 80% chance of rain
My great grandfather Gabriel stowaway on a ship and came to America to avoid the Austrian army. My grand father Gabriel was a cowboy in Nebraska and broke horses for the military. That is all I know on my dad’s side. My mom was a Nye and my grandmother was a Hammond. There is a chart of a family tree floating around some where. Dad always said I was half German a quarter English and a quarter mutt. Wife and I both had dna tests. We are both half German half English.
out to dinner with old friends tonight
stay warm folks….. well all but HHH😁

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Morning everyone,
71 at the moment headed to upper 70's overcast.
The old Spotsy battlefield maybe 15+ - miles from my old lake house. I did find a Yankee camp in the back of the property before leaving nothing of any importance. And the bullets that were found was left why remove them they had been there 150 + years .
I grew up around Civil War battlefields in Mechanicsville VA it was nothing as a young kid to kick up bullets and mini balls .
Well I need to get plugging along.
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and safe.
HHH

· Registered
10,596 Posts
I'm late again and on a real Saturday, at that! Went to Rural King, looked at most everything, and bought nothing but ran into friends and people with their dogs. All the reason I need to go there.

At 11:00 (1100 hours for you Mikey) it's the same 32 degrees it was at 0700 (7:00 AM in my world). Heading out to scatter golf seeds at the practice range with the golfing grandson in a minute. He'll remind me of how I wish I could do it but couldn't on my best day. Lotta' guys hit it long but he hits it long, straight, AND in the direction he intends.

Changed gears at the Dillon again and I'm gonna' load some .223 later. Gonna' go with some heavier bullets to see how they stack up against the .224V. It's the great 69 gr Sierra HPBT challenge. Stay tuned.

Have a good day.

· Registered
7,485 Posts
Noontime Caturday greetings from the Sunny Sticks of Kentucky in the 40s at least.
A "Not My Cat" Caturday as we have a visitor sometimes.
Cat Carnivore Felidae Comfort Small to medium-sized cats

His name is "Brahms" and is technically my DILs Cat, but he wants to visit me. Lies on the back of the couch with his hand on my shoulder. Not MY Cat.

@FBecigneul is using derogatory language about MY Southern relatives today. Maybe hes a Damn Yankee after all?
I have nothing noteworthy to report on my Family Tree, cept they are all Dead. Mom was from Clay County and Dad from Harlan County. Very infamous dangerous places back then.
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Grassland

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass

My 2 little bunches of Damcows. Some in the far distance which would be a great place to Shoot Long Range IF I had Ambition to do it and Money for toys.
Tree Working animal Plant Grass Landscape

New arrival today.
JB and her DIL are Shopping today and Jackson is babysitting Jesco.
You folks have a nice day and enjoy the nice weather.
@Bruce Eakins sends report from the Bunny Ranch....send More Money and an Oxygen tank.

· Registered
382 Posts
Mid day check in, 40 headed to 45. Not much accomplished yesterday, did cut up some sirloin pork roasts and the wife canned 10 pints of them, great for a quick easy meal with boiled potatoes and onions, cornbread. Need to finish up 3 projects in the shop today, that is my goal. May venture down towards Albany and get some Lees famous recipe chicken some time this weekend, have a craving for that and closest place to get it. You all have a good one, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Happy Caturday, GoGo! At 1212 it's 36 in Louisville, going to 43 and partly cloudy. Rain due about sunrise tomorrow, but right now it looks like it will stay mostly rain. Drop the temp about 3-4 degrees, though, and it could set up as a very typical Kentucky ice storm. I'd be OK if the ice/snow stays up around Doug in Indy.

So, the stitching is done on the ax sheath and I'm doing some touch-up and clean-up on the dye job in a few places. Getting real close to putting on a top coat and calling it done. There are a multitude of small flaws I could attempt to fix, but I'm still new enough at leather work that in trying to fix one thing, I may create two or three more problems. Gotta get this project done so I can get back to putting scales on blades.

The biggest news in my world is that my only sibling had a heart issue on Thursday and got a pacemaker yesterday. He was driving, probably under 20mph, on a rural gravel road, headed to a fishing pond. He closed his eyes and when he came to maybe a minute later his truck had left the gravel and rolled into a shallow ditch. He drove back to the blacktop, parked and called his wife. At the hospital, they downloaded the data from a heart monitor that was implanted about a year ago and determined that his heart quit beating for maybe 20-30 seconds, causing him to pass out. The monitor showed that his heart started back up on its own and he awoke. Scary stuff. Anyway, he got an on-demand pacemaker installed yesterday and should be going home today. I'd appreciate it if you could say a prayer for David Jones.

Cat Organism Font Carnivore Adaptation

Don't know what I'll get into this afternoon besides putting some finish on the ax sheath. Will likely watch the UK Wildcats play Texas A&M at 2.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and please lift up prayers for my brother as well as for our friends here.

· Registered
233 Posts
A very late start catching up from 2 very early starts. Very overcast, low thirties, low breezes. Just basically ugly Ohio River Valley winter weather. The wind was stiff all day Fri.
I had an eye doc, Aldi run, long time at an indoor flea mkt. Ended up w a new pair of tennis shoes, new cassette player for a few tapes l have left over, $5, a boom box for shop w USB charging port, Bluetooth capable for my audio books, prob FM and remote, 40$ new.
Found some LEDs for a buck at Harbor Frt, 27 nnr noise attenuators as my bud would say for $5, safety glasses $3. I couldn't pass'em up. Ki thought of Mike when l saw an ultra thin saw blade on close out but it was a 12". Narrow kerf = less waste on expensive wood. If you are interested Mike, I'll be back in town Mon.....abt $20 iirc.
Bruce gave me a heads up on a large discount that Accu Tac was honoring at the shot show. I was able to make it happen .....YAAAYYY. I really liked the one on Justin's rig. 500 n 1k was no problem w a good spotter. I liked it as well as my rest.
It looks like din at a friend's house tonight. The girls will prob work more details out on their Feb vacation.
I really liked that GS pooch yday. I am really leaning that way now. I've always enjoyed them.
I guess l'm done for this jibber jabber. Tom out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts