Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22° here in Upstate NY this morning under clear starry skies, the high temperature for today will be up to 32°. It will be a nice sunny day with a mild breeze of 6 to 9mph and no snow.

I was busy once again yesterday most of the day with computer work, I hope today I will be able to just do mostly what I want. I did get out and put the mower, gas grill and a few other things away for winter.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Good Caturday morning, George and those to come. It’s a bitter 17 degrees as I get ready to hunt today. Sure hope there’s no breeze. Couple of Caturday memes:
Cat Plant Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

Plant Flower Vertebrate Green Nature

More later. Y’all be safe out there.

UPDATE: Saw four does today, but didn't have a shot on any of 'em. Sure would have whacked one today. Two of 'em slipped in behind my ladder stand and imitated squirrels playing in the leaves. When I tried to turn around my stand must have squeaked or popped, cause they took off. :rolleyes: When we got to the woods we hunt, it was 14 degrees. Dang cold. It started warming when the sun came up, but that brought wind with it. Brrrrr!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 19, high about 20, very windy and snow showers moving out.
Yesterday was busy, unplanned and tired by the time we got home. Step son needs extra help dealing with loss. There're married 30 years.
Today is the ex's birthday, I suppose we should take him something to nice to eat. I need to do some maintenance in his house.
Trying to plan a funeral and Thanksgiving is frustrating.
Hope everyone has a blessed Friday,
Ken

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Morning all, it's 21* here and a high of 30* with sunshine. I was cold at the Country Store yesterday and the wind blew made it feel even colder. We sold a bunch of round bales, deer corn and deer apples, deer season with a rifle opens Monday, so it will be busy again today. Next week looks to be some warmer and sunshine, I guess that's about it from here, have a good one and be safe out there.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Mornin boys...
23 here high on RUGER Mt this morning
First day of rifle season and I guess I'll go.
Elijah didn't get In til after 2 so he may lay in...don't blame him. My back got the best of me yesterday, spasms all day. Getting out in the cold wind made it worse. Don't seem as bad this morning so I'm going to see if I can go watch for a deer in a few. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
A crisp 18° Here this morning. The first full week of modern gun is complete now and the death toll so far is 60,000. I’m stuck at work but some friends are going today so I’m sure I’ll be getting some hero pictures texted to me today. Sure was good to see JR post again. I was getting a little concerned. Mom got some new furniture yesterday so I joined my sisters and their husbands who were all visiting. Had a good time and lots of laughs. Tested the generator yesterday and it performed admirably. I hope I never need it but it’s nice to have the peace of mind, just in case.
I‘ll be here for at least 12 hours today. The rest of the weekend will be spent going back and forth between the reloading bench and the wood stove. George, keep us posted on how the new 45-70 does. Glad to hear Elijah made it home safely in the middle of the night. Be safe out there and make it a good day.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Another Great morning everyone,

22° with new snow that is blowing around here near HalfwayUSA.

It's time to tell you a bit about my old hunting partner.

He passed away in his own bed sometime in the night November 17 or 18. I was notified by a deputy last night and began the last chapter. It's very likely I was the last to speak with him on the 17th as I drove from deer camp (chased out by heavy snow & bad roads). We talked for about 10 minutes as I drove the truck & camper east at about 30mph on slick snowy roads. He said he was really tired from the drive to town to get his gallon of milk & was heading for bed early. That was about 8pm.

Joseph "Jerry" Loibl 1934-2022

Cloud Water Sky Plant Lake

Here he was fly fishing the AuSable river near Grayling just a few years ago at age 84.

I'm headed to his house this morning to secure the important things.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Whew...

Good morning from the top of a mtn about 2 hrs SW of George. It's 20 here with a crisp wind, but sun will come up over the ridge and warm things up soon. I got here about 430 last night. Some snow on the mtns here so I can see good from my spot. All sweated up from the walk in. Will sit here until 10-11 and then go somewhere else.

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
morning all. -4 here with a high of 35...maybe. Next few day are to be warmer.
Sorry to hear about your old friend Scott. Watching old folks go down hill is hard. First it was my parents and now Gwyns' are aging fast.
Worked in the shop all day yesterday, WOW it took all day for me to change four tires on my farm pickup. Our old tire machine is not made of these new
17inch tires and wheels. And the tires were cold and really stiff, had one that I had to take to the diesel shop to get him to help me seat the beads!!!
Tired and wore out this morning.
Better get to breakfast and work. have a good weekend, be safe out there and keep warm.
Prayers for those with needs and the hurting.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 41º and cloudy here and will only reach the mid 40's later in the day.

Yesterday was a long day of nothing. Watched a few movies, napped, tinkered in the loading room, just passing time. I did feel much better. About the only thing remaining from the flu is a cough.

More of the same today. Feeling much better but according to the Doc I'll still be contagious until probably Monday.

Scott, sorry for the loss of your old friend.

Nice Yote, Dean!

Prayers for those in need and for our Country.

Good Luck to those of you that are hunting! Stay warm.

Later Y'all!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Good morning everyone from Venice Florida not Italy.
Well I don't have y'all's kind of weather that fur sure.58 at the moment headed to 79 .
Got reloading room set up yesterday decided to leave the scale on and will calibrate later today. After lunch yesterday I went out a purchased a new leaf blower for down here and decided to go do a little riding around. Lots of trees down , wooden and vinyl fences blown down, street signs and bill boards ripped to pieces . Lots of tarps on double-wides and trailers . Old construction got hit the hardest. Looks like the new building codes held up very well.
I'll venture out a little bit further as time allows.
Everyone have a great day stay warm dry and comfortable.
Charlie congrats on the deer u now have fresh meat and something to stir the pot with . Good luck bear hunting and enjoy your friends while y'all are together.
Couple of pictures of debris along the road lots of insulation , drywall, carpet and padding.
Sky Property Motor vehicle Tree Asphalt
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Tree Asphalt
Daytime Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Mode of transport
Plant Leaf Tree Natural environment Branch
Sky Motor vehicle Tree Road surface Hood

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good real Saturday morning 20 going to 32? Already been to town stocking the larder, sound like KF there! Football will dominate today as the Buckeye's take on Maryland. So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Scott. Prayers to you and yours and Jerry is on the Au Sable again. Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Twenty-one going to twenty-eight, no new snow and for sure no debris like HHH sees. I have to hit the post office in a little bit and send some dies out.
Sorry for your loss Scott. Did Jerry have any family? Sounds like a lonesome way of life and a sad way to go slowly. I’m hoping for the irate husband path. At my age, I can dream, can’t I?
Deer hunter’s cars are across the road at the neighbor’s and at the state land parking lot 1/2 mile away. In talking to the neighbor Wednesday, he said one of the “hunters” at his place shot and hit a small buck on Tuesday but didn’t find him. So he probably missed - I hope or he don’t know how to or want to take the time to track it, which really ticks me off. Said he shot it around 2:00PM so there’s no excuse.
One of the best eating deers I ever had was a doe someone had shot and couldn’t or didn’t track onto our property. When I found it, it was still warm. I gutted it and hung it in the barn for about a week as the temperatures were perfect for that, 35-38 in the day and 25-30 at night. No coyotes in the barn, Bruce.
Today we start preparing for Thanksgiving at our house. So, we’ll be busy for the next few days and hopefully things will be less hectic on Thursday.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
21 with clear skies when the sun climbed over the ridge in the east. Frost is beginning to melt off the grass as the sun climbs higher. Today should make the mid 40s. The young prince was here yesterday and kept Tarcila entertained and I took care of business things and picked up my newly barreled rifle. I have several chores to do this morning and might get some new brass made for the Beggs. I'm planning to try something new, reforming 22 PPC brass to 220 Russian/220 Beggs. I've done one and it seemed to work out. I have about 500 pieces, so it makes sense to give it a try. I'll report back after annealing and forming. Today is the opening day of rifle season in our region and I can't say I miss being out in the cold. I may go and sit in the shooting house later in the season, but I doubt I'll put anything on the ground. Our season runs thru early January and the limit is three does per day and two bucks for the entire bow/ML/rifle which begins in September. Good luck to the hunters.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Yesterday, Rick, they were bemoaning on TV the fact that deer license sales are way down In Michigan. Along with the down trend in sales comes the down trend in Michigan State revenue. With fewer people buying fewer licenses comes the uptick in car/deer accidents and I think that was the reason that article was even on the news. A body can shoot more deer but how many of those people are there? Two nice big bucks have been taken on our property by son and grandson and they are now finding excuses not to hunt. It’s too windy, it’s snowing, I was busy. I had to work. You’ve heard them all. Maybe, no freezer space. I don’t know. I don’t hunt any more and haven’t since October came around a few years back and we still had enough venison to last a year.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Good morning everyone...it was about 18° maybe when we went to the blind this morning. Nothing was seen but 2 coyotes trotting along the river back in the treeline. Sun was coming up and you could see their silhouette through the trees. I made some squeaks but they never stopped.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle Tints and shades

We left just a little before n 10 as the wind was picking up pretty bad. I dug out another blind and we are going to set it up.on a ridge in the middle of the woods. We haven't seen squat yet.

Scott sorry to hear about your friend.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yesterday, Rick, they were bemoaning on TV the fact that deer license sales are way down In Michigan. Along with the down trend in sales comes the down trend in Michigan State revenue. With fewer people buying fewer licenses comes the uptick in car/deer accidents and I think that was the reason that article was even on the news. A body can shoot more deer but how many of those people are there? Two nice big bucks have been taken on our property by son and grandson and they are now finding excuses not to hunt. It’s too windy, it’s snowing, I was busy. I had to work. You’ve heard them all. Maybe, no freezer space. I don’t know. I don’t hunt any more and haven’t since October came around a few years back and we still had enough venison to last a year.
Sounds like the way things have been going here for a very long time. When I started hunting on this property about 25 years ago, seeing even one buck was unusual. Now they are everywhere. A couple of years back I had nine shootable bucks in my backyard one morning within about an hour. There is a family of does/fawns in my yard sometime everyday. Last week I had bucks chasing does in the front yard in mid-afternoon. I have nothing against killing deer and allow a nephew and a couple of friends to hunt on my place. If I want meat, my nephew will be happy to provide whatever I want. At this point in my life I'm not inclined to take animals anymore, with the exception of prairie dogs. I haven't seen what the estimated deer population is currently, but I'ts high. They are dead on the highway everywhere.

Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts