Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
31° cool temperature this morning here in Upstate NY under overcast skies. Eventually today it is to warm up to about 55° and be a sunny day for the first day of May. I had been looking forward to today as it is the first day of walleye fishing here but the rivers are way to high to go.

Yesterday was another blustery day with winds up to 40 mph and we had a shower of two. They were calling for the possibility of a little snow overnight here but we didn't get any yet. I worked here at home yesterday and my Daughter and two Granddaughters come for a bit, my second oldest Granddaughter is due on Mothers day so I will be a Great Grandfather for the second time. Today I will be here doing paperwork for the gun club and whatever else comes up wishing I could be fishing.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Phone says its 44 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Planned on hunting this morning but my bones are hurting.
Tucker will probably go.
Was told yesterday that the hybrid and rock are up to the dam
and have been for a couple weeks. Still ain't been, just ain't worked out.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 32 going to 60's with a little frost on the pumpkin. Looks it will be a sunny May Day , where's the year going?? A friend is due to show up too help patch a hole in the green house and repair the belting on the rifle backstop. Need to dig up a clump of daylilies for the club auction tomorrow. Be safe and healthy Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Good morning all, it's 45* here and in the mid 60's after while. Chores around the house today, and cut a little grass around the daughters house, a nice weekend here in SWV. That's about it from here gonna feed my birds and critters, have a good one today.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great morning everyone, though, not a great as usual,

28° with a clear sky and for now, a calm wind here near HalfwayUSA. 68° later but the wind will do it's thing in a few hours. As Dean often says, "farmers are trading dirt today".

I did get to the range on Friday. Just as I sat down to zero that 450 Bushmaster something felt 'off'. Within an hour I felt like crap - the effects of that second Phizer shot. After shooting I had to go to my friend's place to pick a load of firewood and work on a very large and expensive amplified Sub Woofer - something not in my field of expertise. He & I were able to trouble shoot it but determined that the very large speaker is probably toast. He has the pre-amp & a new speaker on the way from the manufacturer & I will be installing it some time after it arrives.

I had errands to run afterword but as I was feeling a lot less than vigorious, I headed straight home. All I did was put the rifles in the safe then it was right up stairs for bed rest.

Good news is I feel better this morning but I'm not clicking along at 100% yet. Deb was a little off yesterday too but she said it wasn't as bad as after her first shot.

Plenty of chores around here to do BUT more importantly, it is a big rummage sale day on the other side of the county. If we feel up to the fun, we may go this afternoon.

Attention FB, Ken Johnson says Hi. By gosh, he even spoke highly of you.:giggle:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Phone says its 44 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Planned on hunting this morning but my bones are hurting.
Tucker will probably go.
Was told yesterday that the hybrid and rock are up to the dam
and have been for a couple weeks. Still ain't been, just ain't worked out.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie
I wondered why you hadnt commented on river fishing this
spring. If you havent been thats a sure fire reason. LDS

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Larry, only been 1 time.
My brother has been busy working and my cousin that I go with
is only home on the weekends and it's rained most of the time he's been home.
just something all the time and then turkey season comes in...lol

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
morning all. 35 here with mid to high 70s later, what a change a few day can bring, but will be back to cooler and wind tomorrow. Was a real nice day yesterday, we get a couple like that every year.
Worked on sprinklers all day, except while checking the cows. Really didn't get a lot done though, set a electric motor back on a booster pump and got it wired in and ready for water, now to get the sprinkler serviced today. I'll have my helper today... maybe, never know what a young kid can find to do when you need their help.
Better get, slept in this morning and could have still been there!
Have a great day and weekend, be safe and healthy. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Not much going on here yet. It hit 28 earlier and I have a feeling the frost/freeze got the apple blossoms for the second consecutive year.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Morning from the sticks of Kentucky where it is 41° but a nice warm fire in the wood stove. We also had a lot of wind yesterday, but there isn't any plowed ground for miles around here.

JB stayed another day in the Army yesterday and will return today so she can fly off sommers else.
Today is the big long awaited Gun Auction and I expect prices to be about like the Ammo Auction Thursday. I will make sure a couple go way too high.

Big event of the day besides the Auction is deciding which Ham burger joint to eat at today. I had some Messican Pozole soup out of the freezer last evening. Cats will get the remainder.

Donnie, you need to go up to Francisco's place and go River Fishing. Big old fish.
Have a nice day folks and dont rin your lawnmower off a cliff.

·
Administrator
12,332 Posts
Good morning folks. It's a chilly 45 here, headed to mid 60s with a breeze today. Boy she blew real good here yesterday but looks like I still have all my shingles and no trees across the power lines or driveway. I did have a 2 foot dia. Ash tree snap in half bit luckily it fell away from everything. Glad I didn't try to cut into that rotten thing. Ash sometimes do weird things.

I have a gun raffle to work all day so that takes care of that. More yard work tomorrow I guess. Better get going. Prayers offered.
Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Morning all, 50 headed to 74 here in KY. KF George was right about the KY Ballistics guy, God was watching over him. I like his channel, he shoots some exotic guns and some I dont care for. Scott hope you and :DD are feeling better, my wife had a rough patch after both of her shots. Going to get some cow feed today, then piddle around in my shop, may got to the LGS today as I have not been in over a week and they will presume me deceased and give up my loafers chair. You all have a good one today, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good Morning Everyone from the Sunnyside of The Chesapeake Bay in Kilmarnock VA . Glad to be at home long drive yesterday 911 miles 14 hours non stop except for gas and restrooms. 55 chilly degrees warming up to a chilly 69 . I'm already missing Southern Florida's weather . Well after being away for 3 months I've got a lot of things to catch up on .Have a great day.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Well after morning here but it has been a busy one for me. I was at the bench bright and early loading 9mm’s. After a trip to the pharmacy and the hardware store it was time to go get my 2nd Pfizer dose. I’ve talked to probably 25 people who have had it. Most had no side effects at all but others ranged from slight nausea to all-out fever and chills. We shall see. I got all of Mom’s grass mowed yesterday, just in case I’m feeling puny this weekend. I’ll mow mine later, if I feel up to it.
Keep us posted on the auction JR. I cast a lot of bids but rarely bring anything home. I’m kind of a tightwad, ya know.
Wishing everyone a good day.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Well after morning here but it has been a busy one for me. I was at the bench bright and early loading 9mm’s. After a trip to the pharmacy and the hardware store it was time to go get my 2nd Pfizer dose. I’ve talked to probably 25 people who have had it. Most had no side effects at all but others ranged from slight nausea to all-out fever and chills. We shall see. I got all of Mom’s grass mowed yesterday, just in case I’m feeling puny this weekend. I’ll mow mine later, if I feel up to it.
Keep us posted on the auction JR. I cast a lot of bids but rarely bring anything home. I’m kind of a tightwad, ya know.
Wishing everyone a good day.
Well Carl, I am there right now along with approximately 300 other folks and I would say things are going to get crazy.
I have never seen a more immaculate bunch of fire arms. Even the half dozen SKS rifles look new.
Probably 60 S &W revolvers most unfired.
I probably won't buy anything either but if you are Stingy, one might as well.leave now.
I did get a Free Donut. Ha.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Afternoon now and getting pretty nice out. Gotnto the shop early and finished up the last part that had to be done and got them on the trailer and out of here. Pulled my 4 wheeler in the shop and aired up a low tire and gave it a washing and a new plug as it was popping and cracking something fierce.
Today is another cruise uptown and with the nice weather it will probably be slam packed with cars.

Jr let me know what those SKS go for...I have a new one in a safe somewhere along with a Clinton Era Mak90....AK.
Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi Everybody, late check in today. Its 79º and partly cloudy here and thats the high for the day. We have rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

The Wife and I both had a hard week and slept in this morning. Got up with just enough time for a shower, a cup of coffee and to head to the ballpark. The oldest Grandson had a double header this morning and they won both games. I melted lead all day yesterday (more about that later) and the Wife turned 6 flats of fresh Strawberries into Jelly over the last 2 days. So we were and are both beat.

Yesterday one of my Buddies came over for our annual lead melting/smelting day. We save up whatever lead we acuminate all year and get together to melt it down and cast it into ingots. We have a friendly competition to see who gets the most. This year it was almost a dead tie! We turned five 5 gallon buckets of sorted wheelwrights and some other scrap lead into 616 ingots. I got up early yesterday to move my truck and Polaris out of the shop and to start setting up. I got tired before I got everything done and waited for my bud to get here. We spent about 8 hours between setting up, melting lead, permanently stamping letters of the ingots and cleaning up. It was a 3 Aleve night!

I appreciate the concern some of you voiced on yesterdays thread. We do this in my shop with the overhead and walk-in doors open. I have a 48inch exhaust fan in the gable end of the shop and a 60inch floor fan set up in the doorway to exhaust any smoke that we produce. You can visibly see any smoke moving out. We set-up so that we are both upwind of the pot and we exercise good hygiene practices. At the temperatures we work at we will not vaporize any lead. We have done it this way for years and feel pretty safe. I also request my lead levels to be checked when they draw blood for my annual physical and they come back normal. I also cast, load and shoot lead bullets so this is something that I think about.

Prayers offered for our members fighting health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts