Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out the door to the air rifle match. Looks to be a hot day at the old range today.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Good real Saturday morning from NC Ohio 67 now going to upper 80's. It will be a cup of coffee and out the door to get garden work done before the sun gets too hot. Grass needs mowing but it be a while before "Hay" is dry. Maybe some fun work in the barn, it's a lot cooler in there. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Administrator
3,539 Posts
64° here in Upstate NY this morning under partly cloudy skies, the high temperature for today will be up to about 88°. It will be a sunny day with fairly stiff wind of 6 to 16 mph, There is no rain in the rorecast.

Yesterday I went up to the gun club in the morning where I shot one of my 243's that I hadn't shot since 2005. I didn't shoot the "Pet Load" i always used since I bought it new in 1988, I shot a ladder test with a different bullet and powder. I will be going back to the "Pet Load" if I want to use it, the new combo didn't shoot bad but not as good as the original. In the afternoon I got the lawn mowed so I won't have to worry about it this weekend. Today I think I will just take it easy and not do too much in the heat.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good morning, fellow boardies. I'm up a bit earlier than usual; got an invitation to go fishing this morning and I'm going. Weather guesser says we'll be about 90 and humid today, just the 1st in a series of 3-4 days of it. Guess summer is sneaking in on us. We'll beat the worst of it by going early. Hopefully, the fish will cooperate.
Hope you all have a productive day .
Ken

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 73, clear and 95 for the high. Yesterday hit 100 degrees. I got the car out and ran over to Mankato looking for polish media at Petco. Had some ice Cream, drove out along the river and through the Buffalo park. Used up entire day.
Today is domestic chores, I need to scrub the kitchen. Grass needs mowed also.
Hope everyone has a blessed weekend,
Ken

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Mornin boys...
Upper 50s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Supposed to get up to mid 80s today. Probably be a rest
day today since the boys both put in a hard week. Tucker said
something about going trout fishing but we'll see how the day goes.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Great morning everyone,

70° for now with high clouds and a bit of a breeze here near HalfwayUSA. 90° for the high later.

Rummaging & enjoyable yesterday. We completed the mission of finding 25-30 tea cups, saucers & tea pots for a friend of ours. All that stuff is for a bachlorette party. I'm told they aren't going to be putting anything resembling tea in the pots or cups. :LOL:

A couple chores got handled. Deb's Dear Blind got cleaned out in Carl Spackler fashion. I took the little generator out there & ran the electric leaf blower to send the accumulated debris out the door. It was a good excuse to exercise the generator.

At about 6:30, Corey & I went down to my old aunt & uncle's place to pick up a 6' brush hog and a back blade he bought from their estate. Smokin' deal at $500 for the pair. Now to get the Oliver 55 tractor sold at $2000 or above. It was 'restored' a few years ago but has been sitting for the past few year so it's "Barn Fresh". It ran well when parked. Battery is shot and it has a hydraulic leak. I don't know much more about it.
6217EC33-2B03-46CC-96EF-84E9989F19EC.jpeg
D7A25D30-DC27-454E-9E7E-47C7B84B44A8.jpeg
43800D3C-2B34-4BF0-9368-A6FCD9E2998C.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
56 degrees here in beautiful Sydney, NE.....headed to the low 80’s today.
Y’all have a blessed day, prayers for our country & all in need.

///

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Good morning, GoGo! It's 63 in Louisville, going to a hot, humid 86.

Two things on today's agenda: (1) Attend a family birthday at my daughter's house, and (2) Plant my remaining tomato seedlings. I'm hoping I might also add a number 3, a nap.

Hey, MPC, I couldn't find any of the "grow bags" you described locally, but I ordered five of 'em from Amazon. They're some kind of "woven fabric," 5 gallons in size,and have fabric handles on each side. That's what I'm using for my remaining tomatoes. I hope they work well because I'm going broke buying Miracle Grow potting soil this spring. :) Hopefully my maters will grow as well as the ones in this photo:

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our ailing friends and our ailing nation.

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
Good morning varmints if all shapes and sizes. It appears skruske and I are sharing the same weather today. Gonna be a hot one. I have a truckload of guns (ok, not a full truckload, but a bunch) to go to a huge all day gun raffle. I actually like this one and it's going to be a nice day.

Yesterday I switched spark plugs at NAPA and came home to work on the mower. I just swapped one plug Thurs and it ran great. Last night it didn't want to start. ??? Finally it did, then repeated the same problem it had before. It runs about 80% and rough at full throttle for about 5 min, then a poof of smoke and it runs 100% the rest of the time. IDK what it is now. Thinking coil or fuel issue???

Well I need to get moving. Coffee is ready. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Yesterday I switched spark plugs at NAPA and came home to work on the mower. I just swapped one plug Thurs and it ran great. Last night it didn't want to start. ??? Finally it did, then repeated the same problem it had before. It runs about 80% and rough at full throttle for about 5 min, then a poof of smoke and it runs 100% the rest of the time. IDK what it is now. Thinking coil or fuel issue???
So, it runs really poorly until it warms up, then coughs, blows smoke and runs like a top. Sounds like maybe a valve sticking or something involving the piston rings. Maybe see if anyone makes a top end cleaner specifically for small engines. If not, or you can't find any, I wouldn't be afraid to try some regular automotive additive. Run a few tanks of that and maybe it will clean up whatever is sticking. Shane has a LOT more experience with this kind of thing, so maybe he'll chime in.

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
Yeah my first thought was a valve sticking but the plugs were black so I figured I'd start there. It's a Kohler Courage 26hp v twin. Tried seafoam. No luck. I think I need to adjust the valves. Seems to be a common Kohler problem.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Morning Folks!

Its 72º and cloudy here and not expected to get much past the mid 70's. There are chances of rain this afternoon and all of next week.

Yesterday was mostly unpacking from our trip. Got most of my gear cleaned up and put away. Deprimed the fired brass that I brought home and got it put away. I still have a rifle to clean, just got tired before I got to it.

I'll leave out of here in a little while to pick up a hundred pounds of Crawfish. My BIL and I usually host a Crawfish Boil once or twice a year for our friends and today is the first day that we could work it in. We usually invite about 20 people but many of them also bring a guest. Its always fun.

Thats a nice old Oliver Tractor that Skruske posted pictures of. Really cool!

Prayers offered for our members fighting health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

Oh Oh Oh, my Krieger barrel that I ordered on December 2nd came in yesterday! Yeah!!! :) May be off to my buddies machine shop soon!

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
Good morning friends. It's 69 in Indy heading for 86. Gonna' got hit some golf balls in a bit. Didn't play all week and I have a team event tomorrow. Rust builds up on this old swing pretty quickly. We did some shooting yesterday. Sighted-in three of Julie's p dog rifles then shot some steel. Too much fun! It was HOT and I brought home a damtick.

Neighborhood garage sale is going on today. Not nearly as bad as it used to be. For several years, you were lucky to drive through the neighborhood without some damfool leaving their (usually HER) car parked blocking the street. Not bad now.

Final chapter of a long shipping tale: February 7th, I ordered a Tandemkross Halo Ring charging handle for our SW22 Victory. Shipped via "UPS Mail Innovations". That's where UPS takes it to the USPS and they lose it. Followed tracking from Midway USA to Indy where USPS took over. Then it went to Cincinnati, then back to Indy where the trail disappeared. After chasing it for a month, Midway sent me another one, no charge. It was delivered promptly via UPS Ground, no USPS. Yesterday, the originally-ordered part was delivered via USPS. Two days short of 4 months! Danged thing may have traveled around the world 3 times.

Charlie, the owner's manuals for the last 2 mowers we've had, both Toros with Briggs & Stratton engines, recommended running a fuel stabilizer, like STABIL, year-round. The gasoline we get today is not great for small engines.

Have a good day, y'all.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Long weekend (started yesterday). Off to Amarillo, TX for starts. Followed son and DIL to fairgrounds to unload his horse and gear, Little redhead to motel to swim for the day. Met more family about 4 for early supper. DIL’s father’s birthday and my wifey’s birthday is Sunday. Then to ranch rodeo for the evening. Son’s team and about 12 other teams from several states. Teams of 4 competing in about 6-7 different events. They are a hoot to watch . Team branding, wild cow milking, bronc riding, team penning, etc. ALSO, little redhead was entered in. The mutton busting (gets on sheep and hand on.....nothing but wrap legs around body and hang on around neck, and open he chute}. It’s fun to watch....tring to hang on till the sheep runs and bucks down the arena.
We left after about 4 events and headed home (3 hour drive). Today is a T-Ball tournament starting at 10:30 am and another at 2:40 pm. Then they are headed back to Amarillo for tonight rodeo. Son’s team is setting 1 point out of first place after last night. Hope all goes well tonight for them.
He also announced at supper last night the he had booked a hunt for 15 people starting Oct. 6 for 5 days,,,,Mossy Oak and Academy Sports. Also bringing 4 camera men, etc. Told me, needing you to help guide and mother to help cook....so much for retirement...LOL
Also more ball games tomorrow afternoon to finish out tournament. AND, daughter is busy texting last night as grandson is now playing Jr. High baseball (he’s a fifth grader). Little school he goes to didn’t have enough boys to field a baseball team so they moved him up. Daughter is high school principal there and SIL is coach. Pretty competitive little school. High school girls won state basketball 3 yeers ago, boys won state last year, and boys baseball have been to state tournament (in top 4) for last 3 yerars.
Off to the baseball game......have a good weekend.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
What Doug said, use Stabil year around. Got that hint years ago from Don M., and it has been gospel for me.

Charlie, I would also check out the carb on that Kohler. The float may be sticking when it is cold and essentially flooding the engine until it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Morning all, 76 headed to 85 today. Got a bunch of chores done yesterday, wife and I tag teamed the mowing and got it done. We have to run some errands this morning in town, then this afternoon I need to zero 4 rifles, one of them the Quigley 45/70. Looking forward to see how those 500gr Postells fly. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My 4 wheelers and lawn mowers all used to act like that, ethanol was the problem, leaves a varnish type residue. It takes a while for the fresh gas to clean it off. After paying 4 repair bills, I listened to what they said, and I put Lucas ethanol treatment in all my gas jugs before I fill them up, I buy 4-6 bottles at a time so I wont run out. A bottle is supposed to do 60 gallons. Whatever amount it tells you to use per gallon, I double it, and have had no problem at all with anything on the farm after doing this. Stabil helps too.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
morning all. 40 this morning, going to 80 again today, will be getting dried out from our little rain last week.
Running late, already been out around the sprinklers, one broke down again.
Gwyn should be home from the big city today if things go well with our nieces' hubby. Still not doing well with covid, well over a month in the hospital now.
Better get, have a good day and be safe. Prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Good noontime greetings from the hayfields of Kentucky. I have been at IT all morning.... roke an axel pin on hay fluffer and had to get JB to help me with it. A 2 person 4 hands job out in the field.

Fortunately I had a big Hammer and spare parts.
This afternoon may be more of the same, but I have help coming tomar hopefully to roll it up.

This sure is a busy bunch with a lot of "gun stuff" going on. .not here today

Lightman...you win the internet today with the Crawfish Boil. I would invite myself if I wasn't so busy. Sure would like to meet everyone.
Just got Otis Kat fed, so I can go home and find something in a can.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts