Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
51° here in Upstate NY the last day of July. We have partly cloudy skies this morning along with fog. The high temperature for today will be up to about 71° and it will be a nice sunny day after the fog burns off with a mild breeze.

Yesterday was a this and that day, got the motherboard for the other gaming computer sitting here. I don't know when I will put it in probably not till next week. I got the customers laptop back to him and then I went to the gun club where a trustee and I got the base for the new flag pole cemented in. We are going to let it sit for a day of so befor we put the pole up along with the two flags. Today I am heading "Up Home" and go fishing, I haven't been out all month.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good real Saturday morning from NC Ohio 64 going to 78 with good sunshine. I did make it to the the store yesterday and to my surprise everyone else did too!!! Weed whacken and spraying on the agenda today how much - anyone's guess? Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 59 and clear, warming up to 77. Should be a great day outside.
No plans for today, just take it easy and recover from yesterday. Surgery was good, though I am not supposed lift anything or shoot anything for a couple of weeks. Well see.
I can work on file sorting some more.
Hope everyone has a blessed weekend,
Ken

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Mornin boys...
63 headed to mid 80s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
looks like I may go over to my uncle's and visit today. Probably shoot
the bbs on the front porch again. Tucker is working today so I'll probably be
running around myself. Elijah usually lays in since he's been putting long weeks in
and starts school next week. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
Morning folks. It's 61 here with clouds. Only going to 76 or so later. Feels good.. Going to be a gorgeous day. I think I'll move my treestand this morning and cut some shooting lanes while it's not so humid.

Yesterday after work we took Miss Lillie to the county fair. I haven't been to that one in probably 40 years. It was much smaller than normal but we had a good time. She rode the pony and won a stuffed panda. We had some good fair food.

This Ole Johnny popper was there pulling a wagon doing hay rides. Just like Ole birdogs I think?

The red one to the right was interesting. I didn't get a picture but it was a Cockshutt? Never heard of that one. And down on the end was a Farmall Orchard model. Looked like a race car or bobsled type aero package. I guess to keep the limbs from snagging? Here's an example. It was best of show, bit I didn't get a pic. My hands were full if food.

Well, I need to finish my coffee and get moving. Daughter says they may come home late today. I think we'll wait until tomorrow to meet the little guy. Doesn't matter what I think. Miss Sue may want to meet him tonight!

Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Great morning folks,

59° with clouds as a cooling front came through last evening here in the wiles of Wyoming. Another gully washer doused town yesterday as well. High today only 78°.

Had a fun day with daughter in law and the grandsboys. We toured the natural history museum and got to stare at a lot of fossils & rock along with full scale dinosaur replicas. Afterward, we found a couple rummage sales to stroll into.

I did something I don't do often. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of GOLD as JR tells me. I also figured out who my competition is out here. He's local & retired so he has nearly everyday to go pick up brass. Says he usually takes it in for scrap. :eek:

Doug & I sorted through it last evening on his basement floor. He kept the stuff he or his friends can reload & I will go back home with a couple thousand 223, 9mm & 380. That will keep me busy for a while this winter.

Last day here in Rock Springs. We get to watch a parade and visit a gun shop & perhaps find another rummage sale this morning.

Tomorrow morning we head east.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Good morning all, going to be a nice one today, around 80 and not as humid as it has been. I got a lot of stuff to do around the house today, Miss Kate's is going to buy me some gravy and biscuits at Tudors. You all be safe and have a good one today.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
morning all. 49 with mid 70s today and a good chance of rain for several days now.
We have lots of hay cut but not ready to bale yet so it will probably rain!!!
Worked on the NH swather most of the day yesterday, will, hopefully, get it back together today. Store had all the parts I needed.
Had to have the sprinkler guy out yesterday, lightening messed up a couple relays on two different sprinklers, I figured out
what was wrong but didn't have the parts to repair them. He brought me some brass he had, all new 223s, not near what Scott got but
was free and new!!!
Biscuits and gravy here too, but at home.
Have a great day, July's gone, won't be long till it starts frosting at night around here.
Prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Surprise, Surprise. It’s the last day of July here, too. And it’s 59 degrees and going a to high of 80 degrees. I wasted a couple hours on the Escape yesterday. I was going to change the engine air filter. Went to O’Reilly’s and got a Fram filter. It didn’t fit. Went back, yep, right number I brought my dirty filter with me and showed the guy the new filter was too long. So we held it up against a WIX. Same thing. So today I go back and get the Motorcraft they ordered. What is going on? Since Biden, oh never mind.
I have seen and there are still a few Cockshutt tractors around here, Charlie. And if you leave that John Deere out in the sun, it will ripen and get red just like that Farmall Orchard model. That is a beauty.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Dean's ground up Swather parts from yesterday.

New $850 one in top photo.
Another foggy pea soup day in the sticks of Kentucky with hot? Temperatures to follow.
Yesterday I managed to work on maintenance a bit and then haul half the hay rolls in to line up later in the day. Nothing important accomplished. Deer had broken down an electric fence where the neighbor has gave me some Pasture. Cows did not find it and I have to go check ASAP because the deer probably did it again.
JB went to see her Amish friends yesterday and is probably going back today. Shes a Taxi.

Meet Lucile who lives under an outbuilding and has a clutch of Babies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good morning from Lebanon, Tennessee. It is 73° headed up to 91°. This morning I’m finishing up a new bbl install for an FN Mauser, .264 Win Mag. I hope everyone has a good day! Cya

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Dean’s swather parts look to be just broken in nicely compared to some of that stuff you have, JR. That lathe looks too clean LTR.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's a comfortable 73 in Louisville with lower humidity. Cloudy and only going to 79. Should be pretty nice outside.

Scott, you've got a nose like Red T. Bassett's when it comes to tracking down brass. And I like that description as a "bucket of gold." Stick a primer, some powder, and a bullet in that brass and it's worth 75 cents to a couple of bucks (HP self-defense in 9mm or .45 ACP) each. I don't think you could pay me enough to reload those tiny .380 rounds, although I'm sure the demand for those is even higher than some of the bigger pistol rounds.

Charlie, I love the tractor photos, especially that streamlined red one. It's definitely purpose-built for some very exact reasons, right down to a cowling over the steering wheel. I could see it working well in big commercial orchards or maybe pulling a mower down a row of vines at a winery. There's even a faring over those gauges atop the hood, kind of like hot rodders used to put on some of the late Sixties muscle cars.

I got a call about 9 last night inviting me to a family get-together tonight in memory of "my" barbershop quartet bass singer who died five years ago today. Those of you in the GoGo family have heard me mention him many, many times. We were pretty close friends, sang in quartets together for over 20 years, and had lots of adventures. Kind of like the "old hunting buddies" who get described here pretty often. Anyway, the family is getting together and realized at the last minute that some of his family had been left out: his quartet buddies. Anyway, it should be a good time, with some tears, but lots of smiles and laughter, I'm sure.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for all who need them, including our nation and our president (even if it hurts).

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
75º in the hollow on the way to the low 90's, similar to David's place in Lebanon. Did a little smoke therapy at Dry Branch yesterday. Although it was hot and the wind was as usual I had a pleasant couple of hours. A while back I decided that I was trying to shoot too many different rifles and chamberings in competition and wasn't doing well with any. So I cut back to only shooting in matches that I wasn't directing and only shooting in one class. I chose the BAT 6 PPC as it is the most reliable and had a nearly new barrel. I don't think I have won any matches since then, but my scores have improved. Yesterday I shot some of the neglected rifles and found two of them to be badly out of tune which might indicate why I had shot so poorly with them. I may try the best one in an upcoming match. It's a 22 PPC-.100 and I have plenty of .53gr .224 bullets. The 68gr .243 bullets are beginning to run low. Looking at David's lathe is irritating, it's so damn clean! Today's main project, if the transfer cable arrives will be to make a data transfer from my old laptop to my semi new refurbished Dell laptop. That should be fun :rolleyes:

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
70° this morning and muggy, 90° later today. Muggy is just not a word we need to use around here. However the smoke from southern Oregon is acting like cloud cover. I am stuffed up and my eyes are watering. It is suppose to blow out of here today. The Bootleg fire is the largest at 414,000 acres and they are calling it 56% contained. As near as I can tell it is national forest land mostly. Boys and girls that is a seriously large area. If my math is right that is an area 25 miles by 25 miles. The national forest does not log their burned areas. I guess it does not matter because they the fire near me last years was 500,000 (The largest in state history) and they have not even put a dent in logging the private land involved. The last I heard on the area there was 200,000 trees that needed dropped and haul to the mills, and those were just the ones near roads. The timber faller I have been working for off and on said you have 2 years before the bugs have made the worthless. Just to throw more fun in the mix the 117° day we had along with the record string of 90° weather and no rain is making the timber check from drying to fast. That lowers its value.
well didn’t realize it was so late. Gotta get in the shower and run into work for about an hour. Then headed to the river to “help” test my fiends new to him v8 powered jet boat.😊

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Good morning all. It's 67 in Indy heading for 77. Overcast right now but not sure we're gonna' get rain. I did run the truck through the car wash which increases the chance of rain dramatically. Julie's off to spend the whole day on danger wimmens stuff. She's picking up her pal Wendy and heading for Lady's Day at the Camp Atterbury military range. Maybe she'll get to shoot a gatling gun or a 105 howitzer. Odd having a range day at a place where you aren't allowed to take a gun. If they survive that, they're going to a Glock armorer's class at another place. Wendy's husband is meeting 'em there with their guns. Ole Doug, on the other hand, is without adult supervision all the live-long day. Gotta' head out to the west side of town to pick up some decapping pins for the Dillon sizing die. Shipping from Dillon is more than the coast of the 10-pack of pins. That will get me to lunch time which comes just before nap time. Might try fitting up the RB trigger to the Salvage Valkyrie but, as Shane pointed out to me, you need three hands for that job. "I don't know about that".

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Good day gentlemen…..hope you all are up and kicking. The DIL’a family reunion / redhead’s birthday party was a hit last night. Looked like about 50 showed up. Son rented one of those humongous water slides and they showed up yesterday and put it up. Looked like about 15~20 little ones were having a grand time.
Tomorrow is church dinner and wifey just informed me she needs to make a grocery store run today. BIG grocery store (60 miles down the road).

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all

Reactions: Grandad and JRinKY

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Well I'm sneaking in past noon. I'm at the shop but just been running a saw and not doing too much. A little cooler today so far. Talked to my son last night and they are flying in the first of Sept. for Labor day weekend we didn't think they was coming until at least Christmas.
I went to shoot a little yesterday and took my 12lrpv that is fitted with a 6 dasher that I bought for my Panda but was too heavy so I had it shouldered for my Savage. It shot well with some tossed together ammo. I also took my Remington 700 in 6brx with a 12 twist and shot some 75g vmaxs through it....It always seems to shoot good even though I bet it has had the shit shot out of it and not even sure what barrel make it is. I also rescoped my 221FB after putting on the weaver 1 piece rail. I tossed a cheap 6x24 on it and that thing just loves 40g vmax and RL7. It just piles them into a little wad and keeps on going. The last day in SD I thought I was going to wear it out but it just kept on popping the heads off the little ones peeking up in the grass. I'm thinking of doing another one on a 700 action since I have a reamer. I really want to do a 22br or another 22 dasher as well but need a reamer.

Got some things to do around the house so I will be headed back there shortly.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
ShaneG., +1 on the 221FB using 40gr vmax and RL-7. A close second is the same 40gr vmax using AA2200. I liked the round so much, I wanted a walking varmint rifle, and jumped on a CZ527 in 221FB when they first came out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts