Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
47° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies, the high for today is here it is going to be going down in temperature today. It will be a mostly cloudy day with a light wind. No rain snow for today but tomorrow there is a chance for both.

Rusty and I were out for the day hunting yesterday but today we will be staying at home all day. Gun deer season opens here but I won't be going out, I gave up deer hunting in 2005. I never really cared that much for it, I killed quite a lot of deer over the years but lost interest in going out after my old hunting partner had to give it up. I normally get venison each year from my SIL anyhow.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
54° here in Lockdown, Kentucky looks like we’re in for a little rain today and an inch or so tomorrow. No plans to leave the house this weekend unless I get out to do a little fishing. Reloading bench cleanup and bullet casting are on the agenda. A friend bought his son an M-1 Garand for Christmas and I think I’m gonna load up some ammo for him.
My wife has 7 brothers and sisters and we have Thanksgiving dinner for the whole clan every year but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen this year. Not sure what it will be like this year but whether we’re together or not, we still have a lot to be thankful for.
Wishing everyone a good day and good luck to all the deer hunters out there.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 27 and clear, high of 38. I am staying home today, everything is canceled or prohibited. If I went out, there's no place to go. The State is in locked down starting this morning. Last evening at the coffee shop was kinda emotional for the regular customers. We don't know when we can gather again. Thanksgiving is canceled under our locked house mandate.
Both granddaughters were possibly exposed Wednesday so they're confined to their rooms as their father is taking chemo treatments for stage 4 cancer.
But, there's a bright side, our churches are open. I am very thankful for that.
Stuff to do today, scan documents and tinker with guns. Better get with it,
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Mornin boys.
phone says its 37 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Tucker is headed out hunting and I'll be headed that way soon.
yesterday's hunt was a bust for me, Elijah saw several does and a
spike. They should be chasing good now but I ain't seen now yet.
others have seen them chasing for a week or so.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Good early morning from the sticks of Kentucky where we have 45° outside and is Dark. Dark. I don't like to get up before daylight as I had to most of my life, but sneezed myself awake today.

Todays agenda is to meet jesse in Campbeville to pick up the little Demon for a few days. Chocolate chip cookies and Ice Cream all ready for her. Maybe some Mountain Dew also.
Little else will get done.
Yesterday the Power company came and cut down 2 trees on my fencline after my neighbor lady kept nagging them. More work for me as they are in my hayfield now. Amazingly enough they did not break my fence down.

Neighbor lady in red with JB, she recently bought a new modular home. She had that stumick surgery and has dropped 141# and looks Damgood with her clothes on. I think she may need that Tree Girdling surgery next...
Jest sayin.

I drove JB to town to drop off a small quilt top to get machine quilted for a gift. And I hit Burger King up for 2 Whoppers for $5 also. Never thought I would see the day that a McDouble cost as much as a Whopper. I know the McD owner here and he says his take is Up 60% this year. Killin it with Drive thru.

Skruske will no doubt show up this morning if he can get UnSnuggled.
And it's nice to see the Birdog finding old photos to post. Here's one especially for him. Yall have a safe day..

This tractor is at the Auction Yard due to sell Nov 30. Online bidding only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 44 and damp no rain yet just damp. Looks like a good day to stay inside and watch the Buckeye's play Indiana. I am doing some tests in the greenhouse of starting seeds with pure leaf compost see how it turns out. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 58 in Louisville at 7 a.m. and gonna drop to 50 by sundown. Showers today and a little heavier rain expected tomorrow.

Hunted from dark to dark yesterday and didn't see a single deer. Two of the guys in my hunt group did take really nice bucks in the morning. One was a 10 pointer that weighed 130 and the other was a 9 that weighed a whopping 160. Here's the photo:
Doug Bowling's deer.jpg

Miss Cindy has two turkeys to cook today. I'm gonna do one of them in the smoker. If it hadn't been deer hunt week I'd for sure have brined both of them, but don't have time for that now. If you haven't tried brining a turkey, they're great. Greyfox talked me into trying it a few years back and his advice was right on target.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 48* here and up around 60 later this afternoon. I got farm duty today should be a real busy day with the deer hunters at the Country store buying supplies for deer/rifle coming in Monday. One thing for sure these States limiting this and that, blocking, stopping and mandating all this junk they can't take Thanksgiving out of our Hearts! Have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods, and if your hunting be safe.

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Good morning from high atop a mountain in central PA. Find Jersey shore PA on the map and I'm 6 miles northeast. Yardis Road. Had a nice drive up yesterday and a good chicken dinner. Didnt sleep well but we are up and attum ready for bear. See what happens. I spent a good but of time Google earthing the area and found a nice saddle on the ridge. Rocky as all get out but we are in position. Hoping the locals drive em out.

Have a good one

Charlie

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
morning all. 32 this morning, not sure what the high will be.
Paid hunter finally whacked a deer yesterday, helped him load it then he wanted a place to hang it. Got it on the forks of one of the loaders, he skinned it out and quartered it into his cooler and was off to south Texas. Wasn't a big buck but a nice four pointer, (8 for all you folks). Probably weighed 275 to 300lbs.
Had a fuel leak on one loader and got that fixed, then the starter went out on the old Chevy truck we haul water to the cows with, got it fixed about six last night.
Slept in this morning so now running late. Better get, Have a great day and be safe.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Good real Saturday morning y'all. It's raining lightly and 44 in Indy. We should reach the low 50s and the weather rock will be wet all day. Spent a good bit of yesterday in the loading dungeon and got my brass kicked, the .204 anyway. I sorted brass in my dreams last night. Read through a thread on another forum (yes, there is another one) about using small rifle primers in pistol ammo. Several guys say they've been doing it for years so I threw a few 9mm test loads together with CCI rifle primers. All I have to do now is make Julie go to the indoor range and try 'em. Shouldn't have to push to hard to make that happen.

I complete half my 14 day jail sentence today. If it wasn't so dreary, I'd be wanting to take a drive somewhere. Maybe a fast food drive-thru. There's 6 of 'em within a mile of us.

My pal Kenny was supposed to go home from the hospital Thursday but he went downhill and was on oxygen when his son called me yesterday. He's not on a ventilator but overnight Wednesday he went from a candidate for release to being on oxygen. Stuff's hard on some old guys, he's 87.

IU vs OSU at noon. Might be a game. Historically, the Buckeyes didn't need to do much more than show up against IU. Woody Hayes was once asked what he would do when he retired. He said he was going to move to Bloomington, IN to get as far as possible from college football.

Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
News Flash. JB is wearing shoes while checking out the tree drop.

Just leave that wood there; Skruske will get it before the snow flies.

Red T. Bassett HAD to go out at 5:00AM. He spotted a rabbit on the neighbor’s drive about 200 yards away. What the???Could he smell it from inside the house? He went right for it when he got outside. Anyway, we came back in and I found the bed instead of the computer. So, here I am now, late for everything, whatever everything is.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Late morning check in, been messing with the grandkid. 57 headed to 66 today. Beautiful day today, going to be out and about with the daughter and family. Good luck to all the hunters, Charlie hope you get a good bear, they are tasty critters in my book. Buff out

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
41º at sunrise in the hollow. Much warmer now and should make 70º today. Partly cloudy, but no rain so far. I spent yesterday filling orders and started this morning with the same. It's been a good week. Right now I'm waiting for my wife to get ready to take a drive with me to Dry Branch Rifle Range. I have to meet a new member for an orientation and she & I will probably do some birding after that. Dry Branch is a great place for sparrows and such in the late fall and winter. Thanks to George for the Reflections thread. Congrats to all who harvested game and good luck to those still on the hunt. I may or may not do some deer hunting this fall. It remains to be seen. A very nice 10 point was killed this morning across the fence from me. I think it may be the one my nephew has been stalking.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Good afternoon now.....got up and it was raining pretty good. My buddy Tony called me he just got out from hunting and seen 2 does but didn't take a shot. My ground blind is near his tree stand and he hunkered down in it until he got a little break in the rain and made a run for his truck. Said my blind was only there by one line I tied to a tree so I made some heavy duty foot long stakes to anchor it with this time...might do that on my way home.
Brought my truck in the shop and the damn overhead door opening locked up and had to fight with it for a while...now it's a manual open door for the time being.

Doug I been using small rifle primers in my pistols as well. Works in my Glock 22 and my wifes Ruger LC9 so far. A co worker used to shoot handgun competion and fired thousands of rounds of .40S&W with rifle primers and never had any problems.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
A buddy has a couple of Freedom Arms revolvers and he said they recommend using Rem 7.5 primers (SRM) for their Casull revolvers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
JR , loved that picture of the John Deere you posted. That is a seeet one. My Granpa had one, it was the first tractor he owned. That is a GP ( General Purpose) tractor. It was rated to pull 3-14’s but in this heavy soil up here 2-16’s is all it would pull. That’s what I cut my teeth on when I started driving tractor in the fields (10 yrs old) I pulled a 7 section 30 ft drag with it. There were no starters on it. To start it you opened a petcock on each cylinder, and then pull on the large open flywheel on the left side to start it. I couldnt start it and if it quit I had to walk home to get mom or dad to come start it again.by the time I was twelve I could start it my self. That photo brought lots of memories. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts