Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
23° here in Upstate NY this fine morning, clear skies and the stars are shining. The high temperature for today will get up to about 47° and it will be a nice sunny day with quite light winds. That right there will be a welcome change, the wind has been terrible for the past three weeks straight.

I was on the road a lot yesterday working on computers and today my plans are to take it easy and just do as I want. My best friend since 1966 had shoulder surgery this past Wednesday and is hurting. I am going down to visit with him for awhile today. He and I have went through hell together and always been there for each other. He is hoping it gets better quick as it is his shooting shoulder.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Good morning from WV, it's 23* here and clear, high in the mid 50's today. Weather gal says temps are on the rise this week, sounds good to me. I working at Glade this weekend, hopefully a quiet weekend. That's about it from here, better get my butt in gear, have a good one today. George prayers for your friend from WV.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 43, clear and getting to 68. Winds finally died down.
Tough debate today, spend cash on a key to the range to test fire two rifles, and some. 22 fun shooting, or wait a couple of weeks. Sure is good shooting weather.
I looked at some pine slabs yesterday at a garage sale, no immediate purpose for them, but the price was right, gotta decide on them also.
I took the car out and washed it yesterday. I'm having it serviced Tuesday. 3.5 years and 2800 miles on it.
Great day ahead, I am burning daylight, gotta get going,
Everyone have a blessed day,
Ken

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Three point five years and 2800 miles? Why did you buy it?
Thirty degrees under a hazy moon; all is well this morning.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rise and shine, fellow GGVG'ers. 19 to kick off Easter weekend here in CT and I'm sick of this cold weather! We had that taste of spring like weather and now we're back to February temps again, including an inch of snow to wake up to yesterday. Supposed to get up to the mid to upper 40's but I doubt it will make it.
Actually feeling a bit under the weather here this morning; not really sick but not ready to get going just yet. I may just guard the wood stove with the cats a while before getting in to the day. No real plans have been made, just take it as it comes.
Hope you all have a good day!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 24 going up under blue skies. Weather guy said we + normal temps 10 - 15 degrees all week, how does he know what is normal?? Good news Iowa passed carry bill, is it a good bill Iowa Fox? I need a cup of joe and plenty trouble too get into. Ouch! shoulder surgery is painful I've heard, Prayers to your friend and all others in need. Time to get Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Great morning folks,

As the sunrise approaches we see 35° with a south westerly breeze here near HalfwayUSA. 60° for today's high.

Errands, shopping for DD & a couple rummage sales gave us a much needed break from day to day chores. I did get some quality time with the Rock Chucker. I have 131 rounds of 300gr 450 Bushmaster ready to go. Not real sure where it will go but at least it's ready :unsure:

A little bit more firewood to stack from a pile outside the woodshed. Some raking & clean up after that.

DD & I will need to make the HalfwayHouse ready for guests tomorrow. We're hosting dinner.

·
Administrator
12,274 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 28 here with sun. Mid 50s later. How's it that Scott and Ken are so much warmer than we are??? Yesterday was a cold nasty one. I got the 4 wheeler belt changed without much trouble. Only had to drill out two bolts. Stupid torx heads with lock nuts. Little rust and you strip the head out. Useless. I replaced them all with hex head bolts, so next time it needs maintenance you can get them off. After that I got some potholes filled in the driveway and pulled some weeds in the flower beds.

Miss Sue and I finally made it to Rural King. I managed to leave there and spent only $13. Got a pair of crocs and a jug of DEF fluid for the truck. Inventory was sorta low all through the store. Looks like they'll have dang near anything you need when filled up. Ammo was bare. Had about 25 boxes of Norma 22LR and 9 boxes of 20 ga turkey loads at $35 per shells.

I need to get moving. Want to get more wood cut today and drug to the shed. I may get the splitter out later as well. Be another busy day.

Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
morning all. 25 here with almost 70 later.
Running a hour late, so have to hurry along.
Worked on the disc some yesterday along with spending time with the cows. We've got around 475 babies now, still a couple hundred to go.
Tractors in the field means tractor in the shop, oil leak somewhere! Will check it out today.
Church last night in town was good, very nice service, saw a few folks that I haven't seen in a year!
Prayers for those in need and our country. Have a good day!
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky and it is Sunny headed to 60°.
Frosty right now still and the wood stove doesn't care.
George those shoulder problems are hard to Fix. Jesse had shoulder surgery last year and I don't think it went very well. I have a strained or torn rotator cuff now that I injured lifting on a hay rack but it hopefully will improve.

We have a Foo Foo dog here this week and it is a Clone of the Skruske dog.
Old for a poodle...hope the Damthing doesn't die on us.

I suppose I need to make an effort to get to the tractor and plug it up for a couple hours. No real plans today but something will turn up.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 32 in Louisville, going to 63 and sunny. Should be a nice day.

Short note this morning because I have to eat a bite, then go to church with Miss Cindy to do a litttle work in prep for tomorrow's parking lot Easter service. Then we're going to her mother's in Shelbyville to give her a hand with a few things and eat dinner with her.

I got a care package from TAJ45 yesterday, some brass tubes he made for me by sizing down .30-06 brass. I wanted to try something like that for a knife project, but don't have the right dies. Thanks, Tom!

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and say a prayer for George's buddy, our other GoGo friends, and for our nation. And have a glorious Easter celebration.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 43º and Sunny here headed for the upper 60's. Tomorrow is suppose to be even nicer.

My buddy and I backed out our lead melting plans yesterday. It was just too cold to be in the shop with the doors open and the exhaust fan running. We'll plan another day before it gets hot. Maybe!!! The Wife and I rode up to Little Rock and picked up a Pizza at one of our favorite Pizza places and sat in a shady spot in the parking lot and picnicked. The only thing missing was a beer!

We're doing the Family Easter thing today. The Boys inlaws kind of hog most of the holidays and we're left trying to find dates when we can all get together. I'm not sure how we ended up sucking hind tit but at least the girls came from functional families. The Wife cooked most of the day yesterday and started in again early this morning.

Prayers offered for George's friend, our members fighting health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Morning all, 37 heading to 62 or so they say today. Got a young man coming down in a couple of hours to line up a new ML for him and tutor him on all things that have to do with a ML, this is his first one. Got to go see a buddy about a trade on Lever action .45 colt, Rossi 92. I have 2 of them in .44 mag and love them. Had a surge strip go south on me in the shop yesterday, I had the space heater on for about 2 hours, and the plug of the cord burst into flames, and a chunk of plastic rand down the wood facing. I grabbed the cord and jerked it out, and threw some Mountain Dew onto the burning part putting it out. This is the second time, I have had this happen, on surge strips that have seen use for 4 years or more. The only thing drawing current on the strip was the space heater. Anyway, got off lucky. Inhaled a bunch of smoke before I got out and have coughed all night. Got to get going, you all have a great day, remember those in need of prayers, buff out.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Sam, I have a Marlin lever action rifle, full octagon and long barrel (24" or 26") in 45 Colt, and like it a lot. Whole bunch of fun with 255 or 300 gr bullets and accurate. If you load it up to Ruger Blackhawk range loads, 30,000 PSI or so, it rivals a 45-70 with Trapdoor loads.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Good morning all. Sunny, breezy day in Indy with temp going from low 30s to mid 60s. Finally made it to the indoor range yesterday. Shot the SW22 Victory a bunch and found all three of the new magazines needed a bit of tweeking. They didn't allow rounds to elevate far enough for the bolt to pick them up. Nothing that couldn't be corrected with a pair of needle nose pliers. The two mags that came with the gun fed without fail. Got a Ghost trigger bar installed in my G43X, Thursday, so the trigger pull will match Julie's 43X. She's taking both of them to the Gunsite class next month. Hers has been shot a lot more than mine but I think the triggers should be the same or as close as possible. The gun shop had 9mm and .40 ammo in stock. $900 for 1K rds of 9mm, $950 for the .40 cal. None for me, thanks.

Lotsa' high school basketball, college softball, and golf on TV today. Women's amateur golf tournament from Augusta National, the world Valhalla of golf, will be on the air soon. I'll watch some, some will watch me.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
Something about plastic smoke that puts it into a class all its own Sam. Yuck! Good it didn't ignite anything.
They be spreading gold dust on the N 50 and checking drains.
I guess we won't hear from Rick until he is finished punching holes in paper. Hope he has fun and does well in that order.
Helped a SIL move furniture back into the house yday then French Lick (IN) for a fishwich n fries.
A nice day so far but zephyrs have increased w the sunshine.
A really good cuppa this morning . . . Ahhh.
Wife has recouped from a previous 2 nights of no sleepums and has a bunch of cooking to do for Sun. Then Mon, as cuzzins from Cincinnati are coming over.
I scoured the sink, washed my coppery skillet from the fried bloney I made yday, its gotta be fried black n crisp - and have eggs bilin' fer her signature beelzebub eggs. Eggs iz peeled and my kitchen time us over. I will vac the carpets prolly Mon AM. Prb hit the shop, tune in to my book via tablet and have an outstanding day.
Best get on w it. Tom out

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts
Afternoon everyone...at the shop and have my new jack bracket made for the camper just waiting on paint to dry then I can seal and caulk everything once it's bolted on. Should be way stronger than before and I'll look at doing something about the other side at some point but it's still pretty solid.
I need to go get my trailer and get it here to the shop to start doing some work on it.....probably just replace wheel bearings and hell it probably needs new tires. I'm sure they have weather cracked even though they have very low miles.
Still haven't made the plates for my presses yet but may do that in a few since I have plate on the burn table.

Later I'll be getting the Coronet out for the local cruise tonight they have one the first of every month from April to October. About the only time the car gets drove it seems....I have been thinking hard about selling it and the El Camino. I have way too many projects sitting around it seems. I should be getting shipments of parts in for the son's 83 Camaro next week since he's got his new job he can order parts and have them shipped here. I'll start putting the small block together soon as I get everything in. Should be good for 350hp and still be pretty drivable on pump gas....more than enough to get a speeding ticket.

Well hope everyone has a good day!

·
Administrator
12,274 Posts
Afternoon fellas. Done cutting wood for the year...I think? I cut up a whole bunch of trees that fell down today and pulled a widow maker locust out of another with the truck. Made a pretty good dent in the wood shed with what I cut today and judging by the size of the pile I have stacked next to it, it should fill it up once I get it split. I'll try to do that tomorrow morning.

Still have a few problem trees to addressnext to the house. Not sure if I'll have room for them, but I'll make room if I have to. Might just let the stand another year. I don't think they are going anywhere...at least I hope not. And I have to cut some trails thru the woods open. Deer will follow the path of least resistance, and I try to keep the trails by my stand open for them to use.

Looked for mushrooms for a few minutes, but nothing yet. They should be popping up soon. Looking forward to some fried morels.

JR...that's not a dog. It's a cat that barks.😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts