Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Saturday results in Air Rifle

594 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FBecigneul 
#1 ·
We did well in air rifle Saturday, George. Fifteen shooters, which was the highest count ever at Southern Michigan Gun Club, I finished third. The winner had 721, second was 720, and I had 719. Just a little more hot air and I could have won. This discipline is new to me and I feel with a little more trigger time at this rifle, I could be a force to be reckoned with. Maybe with Doug Robert’s pancakes, and the smokings from a few others.......It’s raining hard on this Sunday morning, Jan and Red are in bed so maybe I’ll get the bacon on and whip up some pancakes. What do you say, Doug? I tried to copy and paste the full results but it came up all disjointed.

#4 ·
I’ve only shot air rifle competition twice and with this borrowed rifle with borrowed Neo front rest. I know David is going to ask me to return his stuff. But until then, I shoot air BR. I wanted to use my old trusted and true Gary Hayes solid front rest but Paul said No, No. You can’t get around the target fast enough with that. Maybe next month.

#6 ·
Stick with me Doug; you’ll have diamonds as big as your elbow.
It’s a different breed but basically they are just like firearms but less cleaning. I will say also that in the benchrest class they are touchy as heck. I found it best to set the rifle in the rest and bag and after loading it and getting back on target, don’t touch it. Just the trigger and baby that also. No one but no one uses a cut rifled barrel. They are all using button pulled barrels and highly polished Or lapped ones at that to reduce lead build up. We will have to talk to Randy Robinett of Bib Bullets regarding barrel twist. The rifle I borrowed has a 17 twist barrel but both Paul and I saw evidence of a touch of keyholing and a bit less twist would be the answer. What’s the question? Oh, and this rifle and Paul’s are shooting .177 pellets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.