Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone shot one of these highly regarded rifles and what do you think? Also anyone even seen one for sale or know how much they are really going for? I looked on their website and all it gave was suggested price and we all know how far out of line those prices are compared to " real world"

I am doing some research for a purchase possibility and just wondered what input I might get on this one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well, Sid Packard has 2 (TWO) in .204, so he must like them, a lot! Doug Roberts has one in .223, and he loves his, and Roger Rupard seems to like his quite a bit, at least for Prairie Doggin'. His is a .204, also. Going rates are from about $750 on up, Whittaker's, for example, sold theirs last year, for $782. They seem to get good reviews over on the www.204ruger.com website, as well. They are VERY heavy, and not really a wise choice for a calling rifle, but off a bench, shooting at rats, they seem to be excellent. I"ve only shot Doug Roberts' .223, so that's the only one I can comment on, but it IS a very, very good shooter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
204 havy barreled savage

I have a Model 12bvss in 223. I use it at the range most of the time. I did buy a Bell and Carlson Stock for it to take it out coyote hunting. If the 204 is like my 223 go ahead and buy it. I have a Savage Model 11 in 204 Ruger. I love this gun. It is very accurate. Only complaint is it is barrel heavy. But I use shooting sticks so that problem is pretty much eliminated. My longest shot on a coyote was 300 yards (whitnessed) using the Hornady 32 grain V-Max bullet. So no complaints in that dept. Now for the heavy barreled 223. I have used it several times to slowly eliminate coyote packs using the Hornay 50 grain V-Max. My longest shot with it has been 330 yards. I Just sit back in a tree line or a brushy area and take them out one or two at a time. You have to have a little patience. But, the feeling you have is fantastic. Buy the heavy barreled Savage 204 caliber. You will not regret it. As far as the price is concerned check out several of your local dealers. Prices will vary from 150 to 200 dollars less that MSRP. I drove 50 miles away form my home town to get mine and saved alot of money. I hope that I have helped you out a little. Ghost

·
Registered
308 Posts

I have a the Savage model 12vlp. It is a heavy gun for sure. BUT dead on accurate. I have hit p dogs out past 500 with it . It is point click flp to 300 easy. 32 gr vmav H322 26.6 gr =3900 fps. I could squeeze some more speed but not sure its needed. The holes all touch at 100 yds. Not a carry gun by any means but thats what the CZ is going to be for..in 204 of course...lol

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Bingo

What they all said!!! My .223 LRPV shoots very well. I also have a 12FV that's been rebarreled to .204 and is now in a Low Profile Varminter stock. I really like it. Julie's CZ 527 varmint prefers the 32 gr VMax but my Savage will shoot whatever is available. It has a factory barrel I got from Northlander, BTW.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
From a dyed in the wool Rem fan...

I was wondering if anyone shot one of these highly regarded rifles and what do you think? Also anyone even seen one for sale or know how much they are really going for? I looked on their website and all it gave was suggested price and we all know how far out of line those prices are compared to " real world"

I am doing some research for a purchase possibility and just wondered what input I might get on this one.
I hope to have one in my paws; my first Sa-Sah, NOT a Remington - in time to shoot it at the BBB in May. I'll prolly get it in 204 R, but soon thereafter have another bbl in .223.

P.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love my Savage12 VLP. It will shoot 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards no problem. It weighs well over 10 pounds so it is not a favorite carry gun. I got it for ground squirrels off shooting sticks or a bench. I am trying to talk myself into a lighter 204 for a carry gun but my CZ in 223 is such a great carry gun! I like the 204 over the 223 though. It is just a fun caliber to shoot. You will not be disappointed with the Savage 12 VLP. It is not picky in what you throw down range with it either. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine is a Mod 12FV-S
Swapped the tupperware for a Stockade LRB stock and from the bench, it don't get much better. Rifle now wears a Pac-Nor 11tw 3-groove.
Paid under $500 for the rifle, new, 2 years ago.
Bob

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
deadasslast2004

Have a Savage 12FV in .223 and I like it a lot. Shoots very well and I picked it up very reasonably used. It's going to be my PD gun this coming year. Have a .204 barrel but I just haven't had a chance to screw it on yet.

Also like my 16FSS which is now a TAC 20 that I'm just starting to work with.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My take...

IF I were going to purchase a 204R in a factory rifle the Savage M12 gets my money. I would shoot it 3H (hard, hot, and helluva lot) then rebarrel to a TAC20! :D

Tom Mc

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yept.....I like the 204.....mine is a Pac Nor 12 twist 27" x 1.055" no taper on a Savage s/shot Accue trgger..Choate Varminter...Weaver 4-14 Tact....fast/flat & accurate...my other favorite 20 is the 20 Vartarg...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so a savage 204 it is... now where is the cheapest place or anyone got one 4 sell

I am open to buying one then anyone seen them or want o trade one away?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Savage 12FV 223

I just got my new rifle right before Christmas. Signed sealed and delivered for $485. I am still tweeking it at the range. Because of the lack of daylight I am having difficulty getting enough time at the range. I decided the extra pound was not a big deal in carrying the gun so I went with a heavy barrel.

Best of luck.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts