Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to switch the .223 Savage out with a .204 barrel and possibly a .308 as well. My questions are this: Are the .204 and .223 bolt faces the same size? So all I would need is a barrel and proper headspace? For the .308, would I get a whole new bolt or could the bolt heads be swapped out or should I just get a whole new rifle? Trying to save money after the holidays but if I need a new rifle then I guess Ive got to get one! LOL. Thanks in advance for the input.
George

·
Registered
9 Posts
Savage Cal

George:
Yes, the bolt is the same for 223 and 204 and yes, you can just change bolt heads when you go to 308. It is much easier to purchase a complete bolt in 308. You can get one from SSS for a reasonable price and it makes the swap go much faster and you don't have to mess with adjustment of the firing pin. Hope this helps
FClasser

·
Registered
53 Posts
Above is correct, I've done the .223==>.204, however in my particular rifle, the magazine box had a partition limiting the length to .223 length. .204 worked fine but no way a .308 would go in. Better check this before ordering parts, may need a new box/follower for the.308.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the money, I would recommend buying a complete bolt. As for the exact price of a complete bolt with bolt head, you would have to contact sharp shooters supply. The reason I would I would go this route rather than bolt head swapping, is that with bolt head swapping you might have to adjust the depth of the firing pin, which can get to be a pain. The extra bolt would just make an easy in and out swap. But keep in mind, if getting a complete bolt, price wise you might be getting close to a stevens rifle.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I would recomand getting another rifle, Especially if your like me. I got an Encore so I could change barrels on it. Well I now have 2 Encore frames and 3 Contender frames. Besides, if go go with a new bolt you`ll be well on your way to another rifle any way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Caliber Change

To swap the bolt faces will take you about two minutes. I do it all the time...
I have my favorite action, and I switch between 223 and 6-284 while on the range. It really is quite simple the second time you do it. Like with most things, the first time you do it, take it slow and easy. Like others said, you'll be shooting it single shot, so just put a Score High single shot follower in it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To swap the bolt faces will take you about two minutes. I do it all the time...
I have my favorite action, and I switch between 223 and 6-284 while on the range. It really is quite simple the second time you do it. Like with most things, the first time you do it, take it slow and easy. Like others said, you'll be shooting it single shot, so just put a Score High single shot follower in it.
Correct. Add a through the action style wrench, an open ended spanner( nut wrench) you can swap barrel without pulling the scope and mounts.

For the boltheads, set the firing pin protrusion to .040"-.045" and swap away. They will reliably fire at .035"-.040", so that will work regardless of the dimensions. All mine are set to the 35-40 length.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts