Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called customer service for Savage. They are more than willing to take a look at it, but I'll need to send it to them. I guess pictures will not work...
So I mounted the scope and headed to the range. Beautiful day, wind at my back 5 mph steady I'm guessing.
At the range I took out the bolt, set it up at a target 100 yards away. Lined up the bore with my eyeball, then held it steady to get the scope pretty close.
People were shooting away, so I ran the boresnake through and loaded 5 rounds. The magazine is extremely difficult to get to set into place. My other B model isn't nearly this bad. I'm wondering if something is misaligned.
There as a small pig silhouette at 100 yards. I shot and the bullets seemed to be hitting where I was aiming. I was surprised.
After I was able to get my targets up, I wondering how many shots it would take to get it on target and eager to see what the brand new barrel would do.
My first group was....
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Symmetry

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! No fancy laser bore sighter thingamajig, just my eyeball, sand bag rests and a Harris bipod? I was very hopeful. So I got it set to where my point of aim was and adjusted the scope again.
Group1:
Rectangle Window Font Parallel Symmetry

Group 2:
Rectangle Font Circle Signage Sign

For only having 20 rounds through it, I'm hopeful...
Group 3 at 100 yards:
Font Circle Recreation Automotive tire Science

Group 4 at 100 yards.......... YESSSSSSS!!!!
Automotive tire Font Circle Asphalt Soil

Now I am worried about taking the scope off and sending it back to Savage.........
I'll keep you all updated.
Steven

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Gun shows promise.
In my opinion throwing the first shot like that means bedding problem.I have had good luck putting some up pressure on barrel with RTV.... you can test with an "O" ring....

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I wonder if fiddling with the torque on the action mounting screws might fix that wandering first shot. Bedding and torque are worth trying. Other than that, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In all fairness, I'm not sure it it was the first shot or not (I know the first group it is)... thinking back on it, the "wandering" shots might be the first shots after reloading the rifle (but I loaded 10 into the magazine so the last 2 groups were shot back to back)... I'll do some more "testing" soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts