Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it is true. College aged men can pick up odors and track game just as good as old rover can.

This really opens up a lot more options to us hunters. Instead of having to spend a lot of money on a good hunting dog, you can now just rent out a young man to do your tracking for you.

Or maybe just talk your hunting buddy into assuming this role, in your next hunt?? The photo below shows the technique that the young men in the study used.

On second thought, maybe this will not turn out to be very practical :D

Here is a link to the full news story:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/12/18/move_over_rover_humans_prove_adept_at_following_scent_trails_too/

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Fox and Elk are easy to smell

I have noticed fox or elk odor many times before seeing the animal. And I noticed it from a standing position, never tried getting down where the odor should be stronger.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I was "college age", I was one of the best trackers in the state.

Them coed's couldn't hide anywhere without me sniffin em out!!

:D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have smelled Deer and Elk, even Antelope ("Standing Up")when the wind conditions were right a lot a times hunting over the years and of all other things, a damned Rattlesnake. They have a musky smell that ain't like nuthin else and it's easiest to smell them when it's still & humid out. Can't describe what it'd be like but it's one of a kind. Godsdog.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Animal odors

I've noticed strong odors coming off deer----bucks-----which I thought might be caused by the rut but I don't think I could track one very far.

The odor from cottonmouths is like you described as coming from rattlers, very strong and distinct once the association is made with the particular odor.

One of my neighbors killed three rattlers in his back yard over a period of time. He noticed the first one he killed had a familiar odor, which he then associated with the next two he killed.

Wonder how we smell to them ?

A. Weldy

·
Registered
811 Posts
Smells.....

I have smelled antelope and yes a rattlesnake(he was dead). But oft times when on a long hunting trip. Some of the smells that I encountered were not at all pleasant. On long drives it was amazing that adult men would try to "Out fart" another. GAG!! You guys know exactly what I am talking about. To this day my nose hairs are curled from some of the most awful smells that come from the human body! LOL! Track 'em. Hell some of these guys could be detected when they were on another mountain. It is a wonder any game was ever taken!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts