Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently requested input from Board Members (and Junior Members) about which rifle to buy. I received a lot of help and decided on the CZ 452 Varmint. Now I need to decide on a scope.

I expect to be plinking and shooting paper mostly, tho' it is entirely possible I will also shoot some varmints. One of my questions is what the "effective" range is for the .22LR. And, of course, I would like to get the benefit of the wealth of experience of those here on what scope to put on this rifle and why.

TIA for any help with these 2 questions.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don't try to kill anything bigger than birds past 60yds; you could probably reach squirrels out to 75yds with practice and standard velocity ammo but I wouldn't. The last two rimfires I scoped are wearing low-power (maybe 2-7x33?) Leupold Rifleman scopes. Good glass, compact, good price.

Good choice on the Cee-Zed, the only thing that has stopped me from buying one is the stamped steel trigger guard. I lie awake at night with nightmares of bent metal trigger guards, my therapist can't explain what it is about them that sends me off.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Good job buying the CZ, you are gonna be happy. When buying a scope, IMHO you should buy the very best quality you can possibly afford and maybe a bit more. El Cheapo scopes will doom you to disappointment. Better to grit your teeth and spend lots of bucks the first time than to spend a few bucks now and lots of bucks later. If you stay in the range of Nikon, Burris and Leupold you will not go wrong. The power is up to you, but to get all the potential out of your CZ, you might want to be looking at a variable up to 20 power or so. Target knobs are very nice. So are adjustable objectives. Careful monitoring of this site and others, RimfireCentral for example, will yield opportunities to pick up a good used scope for somewhat less than new. Do lots of internet shopping to get up to speed on prices and features. Remember, a really good scope is a lifetime investment that you can move to other rifles as you acquire them if you wish. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a CZ 452 and am very pleased with it, although its a 17 magnum the quality is the same-Good guns. I have a a Rem. 541-C and have a Burris 4-12X target compact rimfire scope mounted on it. It fits my needs well out to 50 or 75 yds. I used to own a Cooper 57 in 22lr and had an 8-32X Burris rimfire target mounted. That was a nice scope for that rifle-approx. 16" long. I don't believe that particular scope is made anymore but can probably be found on the net.

·
Registered
71 Posts
.22 cal scope

My 2 cents worth. Get as good as you can afford at this time, Adjustable Objective and fine cross hairs, around max. 14X and varible. Enjoy, I've been doing it 73 years with .22 cal.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good choice

The effective range is around 50 yards. You can get out to 100 but it's much more of a challange. As far as scopes, a good 3x9x40 should do the job. If you want to "see the action" a bit better, get the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40, it's a great scope. I've got one on one of my 22-250's and am thinking about another for a 17 cal. Good luck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I recently requested input from Board Members (and Junior Members) about which rifle to buy. I received a lot of help and decided on the CZ 452 Varmint. Now I need to decide on a scope.

I expect to be plinking and shooting paper mostly, tho' it is entirely possible I will also shoot some varmints. One of my questions is what the "effective" range is for the .22LR. And, of course, I would like to get the benefit of the wealth of experience of those here on what scope to put on this rifle and why.

TIA for any help with these 2 questions.
I bought a bushnell elite 3200 2X7X32 from one of our local board sponsers here for $169 bucks.Good scope IMHO to put on a 22 lr.:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey BCP is that triiget guard his finished matte offering ?

Thanks,
Rodney

1 - 12 of 12 Posts