Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What magnification do you guys use for shooting PDs?
Specifically when shooting 22 centerfires and smaller calibers, at 400 yards and less.
Not asking about ranges beyond 400 yard.
Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
On my 22-250 I us a straight 12 power VARI-XII Leupold. Yes its old school, very old school but it has made and seen lots of Red Mist over the years in most of the western states. I see no need for a variable scope for PD hunting. The gun and scope is 49 years old.(1970 when it was built). I have wore out 6 barrels on it, a firing pin and spring, and had a bushing installed in the bolt for the firing pin hole. The scope has been back once for repair. The o-rings rotted and it fogged up on me about 10 years ago. I have been very well satisfied with that set up.

What ever scope you decide upon, I would suggest that you get one equipped with AO and the ability to have a sunshade on it. Good luck and I hope you have a target rich environment.

Reactions: RedMist/221

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personal preference, whichever brand and power you like. I prefer 6-20 or a bit higher since I have crappy eyesight, every edge helps when getting out there in terms of distance. Just because you have a 6-25 doesn't mean you have to use it at 25x, but you have it if you need it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Not to be arguing with Toiville, what works for him works for him, but I have a strong preference for a variable.

My .204 Ruger and .223 both wear Bushnell Elite 6x24s. In my group most folks spot with binoculars, then go to the gun. If your gun is wearing a high-powered fixed magnification scope, it can be a real bear to find the dog you spotted with your binoculars. With my variable scopes when I switch from binocular to rifle, I start at 6 power, making it much easier to find the dog, then zoom in. My max range for the most part is what you cited, 400 yards, and a 6x24 will work fine for that.

Another advantage for the variable is that sometimes you'll be shooting out at 200-300 yards and suddenly one pops up at 50-60 yards. If you're shooting a fixed-power 36 or anything around that, you'll be cursing that fixed scope as you pray for the dog to stay up. With a variable you simply drop down to 6 power, get on the dog, and launch him.

Also, you'll almost always be shooting in bright sun, so there's really no reason to pay extra for a huge objective or 30mm tube IMHO. If you monitor some of the shooting/varmint forums you can often find a good used 6x24 for a lot less than new.

That's my 2 cents' worth. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I also like a 6.5x24 for PDs. The other point is that when it gets too hot, and mirage becomes a significant issue, you can back to magnification back to 12-14x to help you out. And, I do search with binoculars or a laser rangefinder and switch to the scope to shoot.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pd scope

Thanks guys
Looking at a 5-15x and wondering if that 15 is enough, again under 400 yards.
I have some 6-18 and 6.5-24 X scopes

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Thanks guys
Looking at a 5-15x and wondering if that 15 is enough, again under 400 yards.
I have some 6-18 and 6.5-24 X scopes
Probably depends on how much magnification you are comfortable with. I'm on the same page as the KY Fisherman. Matter of fact, I may have had some influence on his scope choices. I have several of the Bushnell 4200 series in 6x24, a couple of Luepold 6.5x20,, a Weaver Grand Slam 6x20 and 2 Bushnell 4200 8x32. They all perform very well. The 6x24's are probably my favorites. A 5x15 should do OK, but you might be a little weak on the longer shots. Being nearly 72, my eyes need a little more than some younger folk.

Rick

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Sako single-shot 17-222......

.......uses a Leupold 6.5-20XAO scope. I like the indexable target turrets(never lose track of my 100 yard "zero").

Friend Of The 17.......and 20

Kevin

A pic of my PD set-up.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
On my AR for shooting off of a stick last year the Vortex 3.5x10 proved to be just fine. Most of my others have 6x24 on them. I have one 8x32 but never turned it up all the way.

I think 24 or so should be enough for normal .22 centerfire range.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have a couple of Nightforce, a 3.5X15 and a 5.5X22. They both work well. On a hot afternoon the 15X still works ok but I'll have to turn the 22X down some because of mirage. I'll 2nd the suggestion for a sunshade. Reticles, I like the MilDot. I've learned how to range with it if I want to or I can use them for holdover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I use large diameter optics (50-55 mm) for twilight or nighttime - it is excellent in poor visibility conditions. If I go hunting during daylight hours, I pay attention to lens models with a diameter of up to 40 mm. I use higher magnification, namely 6-18x40, 6-24x40, to shoot at a stationary target and hunt long distances. This magnification is suitable for hunting small game. Hunting is my favorite thing to do. You should know how I take care of my gun, like a child, haha) I often look for different tips and advice on hunting. And that's honestly; I love this site ballachy.com. So many new things I always learn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.