Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some kind of shooting rest to take to the range, use on a portable shooting table (although I don't have one yet), or to just sit on the hood of my truck. I've seen some nice metal rests with three legs, as well as some shooting bags. I have no idea what to get or which works best. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but am willing to spend enough to get something decent and that will last. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
For the hood of your truck, get a tall front Protector leather bag. Anything metal will wreak havoc on your hood. For the bench rest, get the best you can afford. It is a tool, so buy quality and buy it once. I used an Outers for years and was relatively happy with it, inspite of some shortcomings. I ran into a very well known and experienced board member/varmint hunter at the range one day, and he advised me to get a better rest. Wow, what a difference! I found a Hart on sale and love it, but any of the better rests like Hart, Sinclair, Bald Mountain(?) and even the Caldwell BR should be good. Shop around to find the features and price you want.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have used the Hoppes(1) Caldwell BR(5)- decent for the money, Wichita(6-7)- solid, lacks the fine adjustment of a Sinclair(8) or Hart(8), and a Farley(10)- there might be better, but I haven't found one yet. A good rest can be a lifetime investment and you will never regret buying a good one.
scale is 1 called a rest 10 being top of the line.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After years of shooting over a Hoppes rest, I bought a Caldwell BR this summer and I love it. It's not a Sinclair, but it only cost me $120.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought a used Hart and have been very happy

Was feeling lazy the other day and just took the old sand bags. Now I really realize how great the good rest is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got a Joe Cowan rest last month. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but it looks and feels like it should have cost more than I paid for it. I searched around on various sites trying to answer this very same question. I would never shoot off the hood b/c you can ruin some paint real quick. That being said, I've read that bags like Buds bags or the caldwell tackdriver work fine for such application.

For bench use, get the best you can afford. I got the cowan and some custom protektor bags to go with it. Need to get to the range this week and try it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only rest that I ever really liked off the hood of the ole' truck was the Outer's Varmint Rest (not sure if they still make them)... the rubber feet and height kept it from doing much to the hood, but I have heard bad things about people shooting off the hood w/ a brake... and driving home w/ a severely damaged windshield!

I'm supposed to be 'on the list' for a Cowan rest (guess they make them in batches as part of the class); everything I've heard about them is great. My older Sinclair rest works, but is a little stubborn from time to time (sticks going up and down, etc.)

HTH,

Monte

1 - 7 of 7 Posts