Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got me a sharps replica on the way in 4570
I need to find a source of this type shooting sticks just taller .....anybody?
Musician Flash photography Tripod Videographer Music

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I hear 45-70 is very versatile. It can be loaded down or up for about anything from mice to hefalumps. I made some shooting sticks from fiberglass tent poles and rubber tubing but they were only two legs.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Broom sticks? 😁
Love the 45-70. I have a Marlin lever. Also have a 40-70. Have done a lot of hunting with it.

Reactions: george in KY

·
Registered
126 Posts
Material? I'm thinking the styles for stairs might be the ticket. I bought them by the bundle from HDepot, Lowe's when l was mfrg mobile home step decks...Also sold by the pc. They are treated, 1.1" sq, x abt 42", rounded corners, tuff. That's what I would start w. :)
CORRECTION. :/ They are a smidge over 1 5/16" sq.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I like the 45-70 also. I had one of the Marlin M1895 rifle and liked it until I started loading it hotter than the Trapdoor loads. The stock shape and drop was awful then. Got rid of it and traded it for tang safety Ruger m77 in 458 WinMag to shoot with hard cast lead. Still have one of the Browning BPCR rifles in 45-70, but haven't shot it much.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
George, I can get the specs of the fellas who you had in the pic. You can buy one piece of 6" oak trim at lowes and make a set. If you aint in no hurry, I might just make us both a pair.
No hurry...lay it on it brother! ..and ill make the bench model!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I thought I wanted Quigley's rifle. Then I shot a .45-70... 'bout kicked me off the stool I was sitting on! Ha! I'll stick with my .308 and .223. I'm not built tough like a real man! ahahahaha

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm with you, DRT. I think the 45-70 at full power might be a bit more than I'd like these days.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plus ill down load...i want a pleasant experience ....I've always wanted a Quigley type rifle just to have fun with ring steel open sights...and actually i just looked at a Correct scope that is six power under 500 bucks mounts and all that may be the way I go we'll see how much I like the gun first it may just be a safe Queen

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now I would think a bunch of handloaders, woulld know somewhat more about 45/70 loading. I load my 9 rifles in that caliber to the same velocity as a case full of black powder. They shoot great, and recoil like a .243. I shoot 300-350 gr cast slugs, with 15 gr of Unique, runs around 1450-1500fps, is dead nuts accurate out to 250 yds or so. It also kills deer well, will zip thru both shoulders like butter. I also shoot 405 gr with 13.5 of Unique, and 550 gr with 12 grs, and all of the loads shoot well out to 500 yds, as far as I have shot them. There are about 12 of us who get together 4-5 times a year locally and shoot, from 100-500 yds. I shoot these loads in trapdoors, rolling blocks, sharps and hi walls, with no issues.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have a TC contender carbine that weighs 3.75 pounds chambered in 45-70. Those big heavy sharps style rifles are way more pleasant.

Reactions: Bruce Eakins
1 - 17 of 17 Posts