Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
shot it a actuall y 274 centimeters (9 feet) with my colt government 380 pistol, it is my conceal carry gun and was all I had at the moment. blue, my blue healer and Harley my beagle were into it with the chuck tooth and toenail. blue bit the chuck and the chuck bit he back thru the tongue, then the beagle being smarter bit it in the back.
I could see the chuck had some hair missing due to mange, so I wanted to keep the dogs away from it.
first opportunity I popped it with the pistol and dumped it in the burn barrel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Really stretchin' the legs on that .380 there, Bob--Can't blame ya though:D
Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks john, read the wrong line on the conversion chart, but i did edit the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Des Derry

ooooops sorry about that had some brain fade for a minute 274MM is 10.78 inches . I am sooooo used to reading everything in MM I did not read the CM
please accept my humble appologies.
Des

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
none nessecary, i think we finally have it figured out, the chuck was 9 feet away, this chuck completed the trifecta, rifle, bow and pistol.
put an arrow thru one a few years back, the arrow was sticking out equally on both sides. he dove for his hole and promptly sprang right back out when the arrow hit both sides of the hole. the chuck proceeded to grab the arrow with his teeth and pull it completely thru his body. by now the broad head had done it's job, he fell over dead.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Conversion

Actually, 274 cm = 8.989474 feet
This is correct by my calculation. 274 cm divided by 2.54 cm = 107.87401 inches. Divide this br 12 inches to convert to feet: 107.87401 / 12 = 8.9895008 feet.
Question: You only carry around a 380, but you have a tape measure with you? :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
normally i carry a s&w model 66 2 1/2" 357, with 125 gr Speer gold dot for short barrels @ 1200 fps and carry the 380 in an ankle holster, for some reason i had the 380 on my belt that day.
didn't have a tape measure but my railroad tie is 8 feet long, i was on one end and he dies about a foot off the other end.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's funny...

I always suspected that the metric system was to make short distances sound longer and fat things to sound lighter....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's just my sence of humor, life is to shot to take it too serious. the dogs were none to happy when i took there prize away.
to me 9 feet is a long shot with a 380 anything.

see what you get when you pour watter into a planter, never know what will sprout,.

harley the woodchuck killer

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Red mist "up close and personal"

shot it a actuall y 274 centimeters (9 feet) with my colt government 380 pistol,
This post got a chuckle out of me:D On one occation, Steve, my buddy fm CO, and I went to a PD patch just north of Denver. I was getting my gear set up, so I was only half paying attention when Steve said, "I think I'm gonna pop this one over here". Without looking, I said to have at it...I should have looked!

The blast from his 220 Swift and the BUHWHOPPPP! of a Combined Technologies 50 grain pill were but one sound. As it was I was downwind, unfortunately...I was immediately enveloped in a pink mist cloud, followed by a shower of PD parts and stomach contents!!:eek: Steve then had my undivided attention, and I looked up (soon as the gut shower ended) to see a "smoking" PD hole about 3 meters out! Steve was really getting a big belly laugh outta my expression, I guess. (Come to think of it, he still has one coming for that one!!! LOL!)

Ah...What are friends for???:D

P.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul, a few years back Dave Delong, John Hinnant and I were shooting p-dogs on the N.M./ Texas line in eastern N.M. a herd of cattle came to check us out, in the process (un be known to us) they spooked a 5 foot rattle snake out into the open. I'm sure in the 100* sun it was just looking for a shady place to get out of the sun.
John was the first one to spot it, about 5 feet from where Dave and I were standing. keep in mind John is perfectly safe in the bed of my pickup. in a very calm monotone voice John calmly ask the question, "is anyone going to shoot that rattle snake?
Dave instantly points his sako 223 at the snake and pulled the trigger. the looks on my face must have been priceless. when Dave and john looked at me he totally cracked up, I was covered from head to feet with rattlesnake blood, guts and scales.
the blowbacks was such that Dave was untouched.
I did get my revenge by shooting twice as many dogs as the two of them put together. Dave is now deceased but every time we got together after that hunting trip the subject of the rattlesnake would come up, Dave had a funny laugh and he would ball up in a knot as though he was having a seizure.
John Hinnant is the author of the book (The Complete Illustrated Guide To Precision Barrel Fitting) sold by midway and brownells, one heck of a shot and an even better writer/gunsmith.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts