Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont see what it would hurt, Tom. Looks like you will be shooting compressed loads at 101+% density, and the '-06 case is long enough, that it may be a good idea.

Even though none of my books show it is needed.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
John,

Do you have a good load..I'm just trying to get my old Jarette rifle shooting better..
Tom, let me dig thru my old stuff, I sold my 30-06 8 years ago, but still have some notes/loads. and I did used to use 180's and 200's a lot.

Have to leave and run errands right now, will get back to you

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, the best answer probably is: No...and Yes...and Won't matter.

Because you won't know unless and until you try. My best guess, however would be to predict standard primers will be better. RL22 isn't that hard to light, the .3-06 isn't that cavernous, and Georgia doesn't get that cold.

The usual caveats to back down when you switch components definitely applies. I'd reduce the powder charge by 2 to 5% when you switch primers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My most accurate load with heavy bullets 117 & 120 gr. in my 25-06 with a case full of IMR 4350 is with CCI 250's. It all depends on what your rifle likes. Some loads like Mag primers and some don't.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My most accurate load with heavy bullets 117 & 120 gr. in my 25-06 with a case full of IMR 4350 is with CCI 250's. It all depends on what your rifle likes. Some loads like Mag primers and some don't.
1-shot,

Is yours a 10-twist or what?

TIA,

P.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Loads

Tom, I sent you a PM on those loads.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes my rifle is a Rem 700 BDL action with a Shilen 26" SS #6 1 in 10 twist in a H-S Precision Pro-Series stock with a Zeiss Diavari 3-12X56 #8 reticle in Leupold mounts. It is a bean field deer killer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.