Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seat a neck bushing fully into the top of the base die and tighten the upper “nut”. Screw the base die into your press, run the ram up until you have set the neck/base junction at the desired distance from the base of the cartridge. Tighten the locknut on the base die. You have now established the desired base to neck junction dimension. Now just keep placing smaller bushings into the base die until you have the neck dimension you want.
You can use Imperial Sizing Wax or you can go to your corner store and get this as a lubricant.
Ingredient Food Drink Cuisine Dairy

·
Administrator
1,958 Posts
How much do these sell for, and can you use them for forming dies? Like forming 17 cal. fireball from 221 fireball?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You set your base die in the press with a neck bushing locked into it and advance the ram to where the shoulder is where you want it. Set the base die in with the lock nut Then run all your brass through the die and then, leaving the base die locked in, change neck bushings and run all your brass through that. One motion will run the case in to the shoulder. Do this with each smaller neck bushing. For instance, .395, then .346’ then .301, then .271 Apply a little lube each time. It doesn’t take much and you don’t have to anneal first.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
How do you know Where to set your base die for shoulder length? I'm very ignorant on this stuff, as I have forgotten what I used to know. Maybe you can demonstrate it if we make it North this fall.
I do understand you are progressively necking down the brass.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
There’s more than one way to skin that cat, JR. If I dare say that. Dies for the most part are 7/8x14 thread. One revolution on the die equals .071 or so.
1.) Secure a neck bushing in the setback die and then screw the die into the press until you make enough contact of case to neck bushing and get the start of a shoulder. Measure base to shoulder junction and thread the die the needed number of revolutions to get that.
2.) Start a case into the die until you make contact to get the start of a shoulder and then keep advancing the die until you hit the magic spot by guess and by gosh.
Remember to lube the case at all times.
3.) Come and visit and we can blunder along together.
You better come soon as they are forecasting temperatures in the forties for us tomorrow morning.
Oh and edit…..your reamer print would give you base to shoulder dimension

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I may need one of these. My .257 Roberts has a tight chamber, very tight. The only brass I have been able to locate will not chamber, or won't without a lot of extra work.
1, full length size case using 257 die
2, run case into 7mm Mauser die to size the base
3, run the case into a 6.5 x55 die to push the shoulder back
4, there has to be a better way.
5, there is a shortage of 257 Bob brass and loaded ammo in my area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts