Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use? I was reloading last night and was thinking that there has got to be something out there a little cleaner than the Imperial Sizing Wax I use. The stuff is good even though your hands get a little slimy. I have heard that Lee makes a good product. The last time I was going to buy some at Cabelas they were out. Darrel

·
Registered
751 Posts
You're already using the best on the market

·
Registered
735 Posts
Lee Lube....

Lee Lube is the best there is. Start using that stuff and you'll never mess with greasy lubes again. You can get it from any of the mailorder places.....Midway, etc. It's also good for neckturning, and for lubing - "waxing," because it looks like wax once it's on there - bullets.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used Hornady's One Shot for years.....

then I got turned on to Imperial. I consider the mess about equal and I do not have to step outside to spray the trayed brass. Also, my trays are cleaner now. No oversprayed lub all over the place.

I do keep a shop towel across my knee to wipe my fingers of excess from time to time, but still agree it is much better then a spray lub.

Tried rolling my cases when I first started out. In my opinion, it was an even bigger mess

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I using the Imperial right?

I usually take a little on my finger and smear it on the pad, then roll the cases on it. Then take the neck brush and roll it on the pad and then into the neck. I have done it this way for years. Is there a better way? I will have to say it don't take much. If you forget to roll the cases, there is a lot more resistance. Darrel

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I use one shot for most of my resizing, mostly neck sizing only. Nothing beats Imperial sizing wax for making wildcats though. Anytime I start changing necks to a differant caliber I use Imperial.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ditto on the Lee lube. When I form 17/222 cases from .223 brass, it is the lube that works best for me. Try Lee. You'll never go back to Imperial

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Depends On What I Am Doing

If I am neck sizing up or down, I use Imperial Sizing Wax. This I do in
my office normally. If I am loading on the Dillon (which is in my garage)
and to speed things up, I use the Hornady One Shot Spray, then dump
the cases in the electric case feeder of the Dillon 650. I think both has
a proper place to be used, and like them both. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use Lee, put a dab on the sides of a plastic container, add brass put on a lid shake it around awhile, and start resizing if I get interrupted no problem works as well wet or dry, probably better dry. If I want to show off shiny rounds I wipe off the residue after seating the bullet comes out bright. I have Imperial but it's a mess to work with.

Rick

·
Registered
826 Posts
Imperial is good, Lee is better.......

One of the big problems that many folks have is the fact that they put too much lube on their finger to begin with, and they re-lube their finger too often.

If you find yourself having to wipe your hands off on a cloth or even worse, getting lube on the handle of the press, you are using WAY TO MUCH lube.

I rub my fingers across the Imperial Wax and that will be enough to full length size at least 2-3 cases, same thing with the Lee wax. I'm right handed, so I get a little lube on my left index finger and roll the case with my right thumb and index finger, never getting lube on my right fingers because I am grabbing the case by the case head with my right fingers never going above the case web.

The Wax is especially good for forming wild cats where a big reduction in the case is needed. The wax is unreal for lubing the mandrel on neck turning and I use a drill press with the speed set at 180 RPM's, so the mandrel does build up a little heat but there is never any gauling with the wax.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hornady unique is twice as slick as imperial. :) ......try it, and use sparingly.
i use both. i use imperial inside case necks with a q-tip, and the case body with the hornady unique. i'm pretty sure the hornady is mink oil.
:eek: .....i'd recognize that smell anywhere.

i'd like to try the lee also. i much prefer the rub ons compared to spray or roll, so far.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FL sizing with no lube here

I still need to do some more test.. ran out of cases.

I cleaned and treated a redding 223 FL die, treated it with moly fusion, sized 150 or more cases with zero lube.. I did use mica to dip the case mouth in for the expanding part, not sure if I even needed that... Treating the die took about 5 minutes actual hands on time, a total of 20 minutes to let the die heat to 150* in the oven

Clint

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like the idea of a spray on lube. The hot shot works well but can be pricey. An older timer than I tipped me off to STP and alcohol. You combine 5-10% stp to rubbing alcohol in a sprayer, shake real well, and spray, let dry, and you are good to go. I just resized 2c's of 284 into 6.5x284 which is 3 dies process. Good results no dents in the cases, and can be done indoors.
Jim

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I guess I haven't decided:rolleyes: I use different stuff depending on the amount of sizing and the size of the cases to be sized.

For light duty I like One Shot. I can get a little spray inside the necks while I'm spraying the cases, so that eliminates that step. After sizing, I give them a quick shot of brake cleaner and rub them with a paper towel to get most of the excess off - takes only a few seconds for 50 or so cases.

For big cases, e.g., belted magnums and FL sizing, the PDQ-1 by Rooster Labs (I saw it in the Sinclair catalog and thought I would give it a try). It is as good as the RCBS "pad" and a little less messy, tho still messy!

For case forming, I've come to appreciate Imperial Die Wax. And, I use it for neck turning.

One that many seem to like, and I will be trying out, is the Lee Lube.

FWIW,

P.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Like Paul....

it depends on what I'm doing. For most volume jobs I use Hornady One Shot. I've never paid much attention to wiping off after sizing, but then I'm a slob.
Since my recent problems with th broken cases in the dies, I guess I could blame the lube, but I think it was the weak & worn cases rather than the lube.

For wildcat case forming (which I do a fair amount of)I use Imperial. For neck turning I use Fire Power on the mandrel.

Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have used nothing but imperial since discovering it years ago. Been reloading for around 40 years, tried most anything I ever heard of and haven't found anything I have liked better. Never tried the lee. Also never heard of putting imperial on a lube pad, I agree with others that you are probably using too much, esp. if you used up a whole tin and haven't loaded several thousand rounds from it. I just rub a bit on my fingers on the left hand, only every 3 or 4 rounds. Feed with the left, work the handle with the right. Never found it messy, cleanup with a paper towel. This is way cleaner than anything else I have tried.
Barry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts