Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hey guys, thought i would add some info as i tried to completely skin a fox the other day including the feet with the claws left on. I am still really slow and my fox got skinned the next day so it was not exactly optimal conditions.
I did not flea powder the fur and even the next day i had a tick come off, so id recomend using flea powder/spray even raid and bagging the animal for 30 min. I started skinning as normal cuts from the vent 1/2 way down the legs, then I cut the legs off above the knee and hung the carcass bay the waist. then I skinned him down to the shoulders. Next I started skinning the mouth from the outside and working my way to free all the lips and work up close to the eyes. Then back to skinning as normal. Everything went fin until i started working on the feet. I put the bone of the fron legs in a vise and worked the fur down. Slow as you come to the dew claw and pad and you will find a bone off to the side for the claw, I just snipped the bone with dikes and kept pulling easily and working the fur down and you get to the paws i kept slowly cutting close to the bone and when most of the finger are axposed o bent the fingers looking for the last joint and cut through the joing so the claws are with the fur. The back legs are the tough part from the heel bone on you have yo go real slow and cut as you go. On my last hind foot I tried to pull more and cut less and I ended up with a 3 legged fox:eek: . I left out the tail, I got the fur free from around the base and started to tube the tail about an inch then put my homemade tail stripper on and as easily as I could, held the stripper in place and tried to pull the tail bone out. It went slow for about 2 inches then it went real slick.
Im slower than a granny when it comes to skining but other than that last leg:rolleyes: , the pelt was perfect because I went to slow. Next year I will have a winch skinner and should go alot easier. Go slow on those back legs!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
DAA, you aren't alone

nuff said, big grins Dave.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dave

It is rare that I ever get such a descriptive picture without a camera.
Well done!
I`m gonna go wash my mouth out now............

·
Registered
4 Posts
OH MAN...thinking about that made me spit-uppity:eek:

Last year I did exactly what DAA is talking about and got a spatter of coyote poop in the mouth. It was instantaneous gagging, puking and choking for the next 5 minutes.

Worse part was having to finish skinning the damn thing. That will NEVER happen again.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Speaking of "Skinning,"

Does anyone have a copy of Blaine Eddy's tape on skinning coyotes they would part with? Or perhaps one by someone else that is as detailed a Blanes.

If you do, please send me a Private Message so we can get together on the arrangements.

Thanks,

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Foxes and Coyotes are nasty. - I wear gloves.

I admit it. I am a germa-phobe when it comes to skinning. As you can see from this (not so clear) photo, I wear surgical gloves when handling those things.

A friend of mine was given a sandwich by his brother right after he had finished skinning. No mention of an issue with inheritance, but my friend got sick enough to want to die, but was too weak to finish himself off. He probably should have gone to the hospital, but finally, after a week of chicken soup, bounced back...a lot more careful.

I decided to take that one to heart.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts