Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how it was prior to the Big Mac being built across the Straits of Mackinac.
His is the Chevy near the foreground pulling a trailer.
In those days there was a gas station on the south approach to the car ferry. They had long hoses so they could pump gas to your car as you waited. Three Detroit cops didn’t want to wait their turn so they buzzed past a lot of cars and told the ferry guidon they they were cops transporting a prisoner to Marquette, their hand cuffed buddy in the back seat. During the wait the ferry guide asked what the prisoner had done. They said he had raped a girl in Detroit. The guy looked into the car and cold cocked the guy in the back seat.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I especially liked the photo of the old cars waiting for the Ferry.
I see Pontiacs, Fords, a Pontiac and a Studebaker. I'm not very familiar with cars of that era. I recognize the Pontiac cause that's what my Dad had when I was very young.
What are the 2 closest ones??
Believe it or not, I have been across that Bridge a few times.
Skruske would have been one of the Fords, he wouldn't be caught dead in a Chevy.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Good stuff. Definitely gonna save that picture to show a few buddies.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I think the light colored one across the bottom is a Hudson, and the fastback two tone is a Kaiser. The car in front of the Hudson is a Chrysler product, maybe a Plymouth or DeSoto. All of them are late 40's or early 50's at best. There are a couple farther up in the line are 30's.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
JR, U think the light colored one in the foreground is a Hudson.
I didn't want to call it, but the old janitor at my elementary school had one and it looked just like that one. The only one I was ever around much

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You could get a used Hudson cheap back in ‘53.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My first guess was a Hudson but then I also thought it may be a Mercury. Where’s Al Nyhus when you need him?
In 1952 Hudson Hornet won more NASCAR races than any other models.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Boyhood neighbor had two in a row. Always used.
I remember a write in to a hot rod mag saying a multiple carb set up was a factory option. Was that a Super Hornet?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
My dad had a Hudson Terra Plane back in 1930s ?? I think. He never stopped talking bout how fast it was. Had a 6 cyl that looked like a U Boat motor.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
As I recall, the Hudson had a 308 cu. in. straight six. And remember, Ford flathead V-8s were 239 cu. in, Chevys were 216 or 230 cu. in. straight 6's until 1955.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you could really zoom in on that photo a dissect it you might see a couple Kaiser’s ( luxury model) or the Fraiser’s.. In 53 the Buick was a big tank also

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
my first daily driver was a black 50 Plymouth coupe it was given to me by a old guy that i mowed his yard for said he bought it new for 500 bucks.. i had to rebuild the flat 6 motor (babbitt bearing ) that was a learning curve ! 3 on the tree no turn signals hand out the window only ..surprisingly i didn't get laid in it...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
my first daily driver was a black 50 Plymouth coupe it was given to me by a old guy that i mowed his yard for said he bought it new for 500 bucks.. i had to rebuild the flat 6 motor (babbitt bearing ) that was a learning curve ! 3 on the tree no turn signals hand out the window only ..surprisingly i didn't get laid in it...
Well Hell Coyote George, you were only about 11 years old at the time.

The Hudson TerraPlanes had a really big seat....so my Dad said. I bet he couldn't make the claim George did.
I think it was a 1937.?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
First car my brother and I had, about 1965 I think, was a 1950 Chrysler Imperial. Flathead straight eight, Fluid Drive transmission, somewhere around 3 tons. Took a while to get it rollin' and twice that long to get it stopped but.......... there was room for a large party in the back seat of that thing...........or so I hear! If you sat in the back seat, your feet wouldn't reach the back of the front seat.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
First car I got was a 55 Dodge sedan. It was my Dad's go to work car, but it was mine to use after school and weekends. Flathead six, three on the tree, and was a very faded, oxidized medium blue. $200, complete with a cracked carburetor body that created a vacuum leak. I replaced the carb (2 bbl), and my Dad helped replace the rear leaf springs and rebuilt the differential. A good neighbor had an air compressor, and lent me the compressor and showed me how to adjust the spray gun. Prepped, primed and painted the car 64 Chevy Midnight Blue. Turned out pretty good, for a first time and a kid doing the work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts