Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. Hey fellas.. I'd like to get something substantially smaller than my Olympus for taking pics afield.. It's a great camera but it's just too big to stash away and keep handy so I thought I'd check with you guys and see what's working..

..I've used the optical zoom very rarely and can't say that I've ever used the little Quicktime movie mode.. I'd just like a simple little straight forward deal w/o a whole lotta BS on it.. The 5MP res on my current camera is just fine for my needs.. The macro does occasionally come in handybut I wouldn't call it a "deal breaker".. USB connections are great to have.. I haven't seen any real need for the screen on the back.. Just another battery eater.. Anybody been keeping up and know what's currently available.? :) d:^) Jake

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Jake I have had 3 Fuji digitals. They are really simple and this is a good price on a really good little camera. Way more mp than we really need; I would add on the 1Gig xd card for 30 more dollars. Good cameras but they don't Bounce well on Concrete.

·
Registered
726 Posts
.. Hey fellas.. I'd like to get something substantially smaller than my Olympus for taking pics afield.. It's a great camera but it's just too big to stash away and keep handy so I thought I'd check with you guys and see what's working..

..I've used the optical zoom very rarely and can't say that I've ever used the little Quicktime movie mode.. I'd just like a simple little straight forward deal w/o a whole lotta BS on it.. The 5MP res on my current camera is just fine for my needs.. The macro does occasionally come in handybut I wouldn't call it a "deal breaker".. USB connections are great to have.. I haven't seen any real need for the screen on the back.. Just another battery eater.. Anybody been keeping up and know what's currently available.? :) d:^) Jake
Canon probably has the most extensive line of compact cameras. By the way, many companies are eliminating the optical viewers on their cameras now, to save money. So on some cameras now the ONLY option you have is the screen on the back. Canon fortunately has resisted this trend, but some other companies have not.

Just how small a camera do you want, ande what is your price range? The new Canon Powershot A640 is a great handy camera with 4x zoom and 10 Megapixels. But it is 8.6 oz, so it is not a super compact. It sells for just over $300 on the street, and is getitng great reviews on photo quality, as you can view here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A640/A640A.HTM

A less expensive 6 mp camera that is smaller and much less expensive is the Canon Powershot A540. It sells for around $170 on the street, and is only 6.3 oz From your description, this might best suit your needs:

And here is a review on it:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A540/A540A.HTM

The Canon Powershot SD series is their super compact cameras designed to fit inside a pocket. So if you want the ultimate in small size, consider them.

The Canon PowerShot SD900 Digital ELPH is their top model. Just over 5 oz, and 10 mp resolution. Street price is about $375, though. But it sure is nice and small. Checkout this review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD900/SD900A.HTM

A much more affordable option in the SD series would be the Canon PowerShot SD600. This might be your best option for small size, good quality ( 6 Megapixel ), and reasonable price. You can find it for just over $200, and it is only 5 oz Check it out here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD600/SD600A.HTM

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Jake If your not anti Walmart and don't mind using Sony's memory stick style memory Walmart has the Sony DSC W 30 on sale now for $199.00 it comes with 32MB of internal memory and also takes Sony's memory stick type memory. Other companies make make memory stick type memory now so the price has really dropped. It is a 6 mega pixel camera and can be totally automated or totally manually controlled. It has both a LCD viewing screen and a view finder. You can turn off the LCD screen to save batteries for more shooting time. It comes with USB 2.0 cables(high speed USB) and a cable that allows you to view the photos on your TV or record them to VCR or DVD recorder. I got my son one to take to Iraq and with a 1 gig memory stick it was right at $250.00 out the door. It also has a Carl Zeiss lens that is very high quality. The thing that really amazed me was it is smaller than a pack of regular cigarettes. I own two other Sony digital cameras and have owned two others over the years and have nothing but good to say about the cameras the tech assistance dept and customer service.
Gary

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Have a look at the Fuji FinePix S6000 and their F30.

Fuji has revolutionized their sensor plane design where the sensors are hexigonal and fit like a honeycomb providing much better resolution for the same number of "pixels".

The S6000 looks like a full-sized SLR, but they are acutally just a little bigger than a standard compact. The F30 has nearly the same features except the optical zoom is not as great (10.7x with the S6000).

I've played with the S6000, and at 6Mp it is a lot of camera, for a mini plane format.

P.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy Crap, Lance.!!

.. Thanks for your effort, sir.!! Whot a post.!! And yessir, a "view finder" is an important option to me, w/thru the lens viewing being even better, but not a deal breaker..

.. As for size I'd like something that could be carried regularly w/o getting cumbersome.. So I guess shape may well be as important as weight.. The smaller the better if not at the expense of quality.. I know that I've seen lots of occasions that I'd like to have a little camera with me to take pics of things I see in the woods.. But I don't want it enough to hafta make accomodations for it, if that makes sense..

..Any of the real compact's I've seen/used had crappy pic quality (like cell phone and "stick" cameras).. I had a "stick" DVR that sported a camera, which in theory would be very handy.. Take a pic, leave a note about it on the DVR.. But the pics were just too grainy to be useful for anything..

.. I know this is an ever changing market so that's why I asked here.. I figured somebody would have gone thru this recently.. I haven't paid it much attention since I bought the Olympus, which was recommended by someone here and has been a great camera.. One thing that's always confused me tho' is why the default size for pics is so big.. These are like 24" or some such.. Seems like I could get a whole bunch more pics on a card if they were only say 12" or so and they'd still be plenty useful.. Do the new cameras have an option to change the default pic size or is that (don your tin-foil hat now) the big corporate conspiracy to make ya buy memory upgrades.?

.. I see the Fuji name gets good reviews.. I'll check on them to see if they have something suitable, also..

10MMGary- I'll check into the Sony as well.. I've had good experiences with Sony gear and CS when needed.. And please, tell your son that Jake in NC gave a big 'ol Hee Haw "Saaaaalute.!!" and a Thanks for his service.!! (Ya may hafta 'splain to the youngin' what that is perzactly, tho'. I'm "dating" myself.)

.. Thanks fellas.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I just went through all of this at Christmas for my SO. I ended up getting her a Panasonic Lumix TZ-1. The reasons were several. Though it is only a 5MP (which does NOT suck), it is a true 10X with a Leica lens and optical image stabilizer.

There is no way to take high magnification shots (say 6X and above) very clearly without image stabilization. It also has audio and video capability (though we never use them) and best of all it is EASY to use! The manual adjustments are easy and clear and if you really want to get into it, the electronic adjustments are more than most people will ever want to mess with.

The Canon's are certainly no slouches! The 540 came in second in my research... ahead of the 640. If you can live with 4X magnification, they are great choices, though the 640 is a 'little' big for shirt pocket handiness.

If at all possible, get to a Best Buy or somewhere that has a large selection so you can handle them. Don't get too wrapped up in megapixels unless you intend to make posters. Also, completely ignore digital zoom... it zooms, but increases graininess tremedously... like getting too close to a television.

·
Registered
726 Posts
.. .. As for size I'd like something that could be carried regularly w/o getting cumbersome.. So I guess shape may well be as important as weight.. The smaller the better if not at the expense of quality.. I know that I've seen lots of occasions that I'd like to have a little camera with me to take pics of things I see in the woods.. But I don't want it enough to hafta make accomodations for it, if that makes sense..

..Any of the real compact's I've seen/used had crappy pic quality (like cell phone and "stick" cameras)..
That is definitely NOT the case with the super compact Canon cameras. They have outstanding quality, as illustrated in the tests done in the reviews I gave links to.

Consider doing this:

Buy a cheap SD card. One can pick them up at super low prices now. And then take that card with you to stores, put it in the camera, and actually take some pictures with the camera. You can then take the images home to your PC, and even print them if you like, and be able to get an actual test drive of the camera's image quality.

I had no problem doing this at local stores. The store staff did not object in any way at all. I just let them know what I was doing.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool stuff..

.. I stopped off for a quick check by the Office Depot just to see what was there.. They had some of the cameras mentioned.. Schweet.. The Canon's looked very nice.. I also saw one of the Sony's and it looked nice too.. No Fuji's, tho'.. I hafta go back to Winston-Salem tomorrow so I'll check with the BB (dread) and CC.. I have no doubt that any of these will produce good pics..

..I do remember that with the Oly one "feature" I really liked was the use of AA batteries so they could be replaced from about anywhere.. But it really hasn't been an issue since one set seems to last forever if ya leave the display off..

..Still lookin'.!! d:^) Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.