Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to honor my best shooting buddy James Ross, who passed away last night from a bout with cancer, I decided to buy something he would really appreciate.

He was a Smith and Wesson fan, big time. He kept a 642 for CCW, and had his younger daughter not purloined it, he had a 3" 686 he liked a lot. His favorite was a nickeled 586 .357, which he shot like a rifle, and a 625 in .45ACP, which he could shoot well, too.

He was a heckuva good guy, who got to pestering me to go to South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs, and that got me started on good rifles that shoot well and don't kick. He was a big fan of the .221 Fireball, and got me interested in those, too.

For my best buddy Jim, who I'm gonna miss a heckuva lot, I got this little Smith I know he'd have appreciated even more than I will. S&W 617, in a handy barrel length, too. I hope I will be able to learn to shoot it as well as he could shoot his Smiths.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Glenn, sorry to hear about Jim's passing.

Enjoy using the 617, and any other S&W revolvers and they will help remind you of Jim. About 35 years ago, I inherited my Uncle's Model 18, which shot so sweet, it propagated into a Model 15, 586, 686, 638 and a Model 25 in 45ACP over the years.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Glenn, sorry to hear about Jim's passing.

Enjoy using the 617, and any other S&W revolvers and they will help remind you of Jim. About 35 years ago, I inherited my Uncle's Model 18, which shot so sweet, it propagated into a Model 15, 586, 686, 638 and a Model 25 in 45ACP over the years.
+1

·
Administrator
2,857 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your friends passing but the new pistol will be a nice tribute to him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts