Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pard & I are having a good run lately on coyotes having killed a bout a dozen in the last month or so with rifles & one with a shotgun. We thought it might be a little more challenging to try for one with an open sighted S&W handgun. We have,between us a 357,44 mag, 41 mag & 45 Colt. Has anyone here done it like this? What bullets would you recommend? Any advise on tactics? Do you think we're nuts????????????

·
Registered
460 Posts
I took my 2 boys out and setup at the edge of some timber overlooking a cow pasture. To make a long story short, the wind changed so I turned around to see if anything would come in behind us and it did. I saw some deer moving figured that they were being pushed. A pair came in behind us at about 30 ft. I couldn't quite dirty Harry it with my 44 mag quick enough. But I believe it is extremely possible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have taken a coyote using a Ruger GP100, .357 mag. Be cause of aging eyesight I mounted a 2x Leupold pistol scope on it, and I always wear my Peltor Tach 7's. I shoot 158gr HP's. I let him come in pretty close and he turned towards me when I cocked the hammer. I put the crosshairs on his chest and squeezed. FrankSoCal said, "He just fell over."

I usually only pack the revolver if I think I might get one up close. Depends on the area. It seems to add a little more excitement, will have to try it at night sometime, even more excitment.

I'll give a try at posting a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think getting a coyote with a hand gun moves the challenge up to a higher level.
I too always pack a side arm whereever I go just like a pocket knife.

Sniper Chuck, I finaly figured out how to get a pic on a forum by uploading them to a site called Imageshack.com. Then once they are there,you can cut and paste the

·
Registered
108 Posts
revolvers and coyotes

Naw, you're not nuts. You're just taking on a greater challenge!

I don't know what bullet to recommend in those calibers, but in my .32 H&R Mag Ruger Single Six, the Hornady 85 gr XTP works well.

Call 'em in close - and tell 'em to hold still for a moment!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Dave, you should have an email with my thoughts about it all, nothing crazy about it at all, from my point of view, anyway!

·
Registered
321 Posts
for the 357mag I'd try Sierra 140 grain JHC's. Powder is up to you based on how well they shoot in your pistols.

For the 41Mag I shoot Sierra 170 grain JHC's in both my 657 and T/C. They move real well with 18.6 grains of 2400.

44Mag..... 180 grain Sierra JHC's.

45Colt.... 240 grain Sierra JHC's.

Guess you notice I am a fan of Sierra. Don't have a 44Mag and have yet to start loading up my 45Colt (Model 25-2 S&W).

I prefer the lighter bullets cause you can push then a tad faster, flatten out the trajectory and still not beat youself to death with recoil.

Just my nickles worth. And yes, Hornady does make a superb pistol bullet.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input! I think we will give it a try this weekend if the weather holds. Will let you know when it happens!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I might as well add a "Tall Tale." About 8 or 10 years ago I spotted a lone Coyote walking around in a field approximately 90 or 100 yards distant adjacent to a state highway. I did not have a rifle but I DID have my Smith And Wesson Model 19 4 inch barrell police revolver .357 mag. loaded with .38 Spec +P bullets. I figured it was useless, but what the heck I might as well try a shot. I rested it on the side of the window and fired one off single action. Needless to say I was very surprised when the Coyote began his "flops and hops" before keeling over. Absolutely a Pure Accident......but I WAS shooting at him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts